Cannot connect to Wifi - IP issue?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Mr Fish, Sep 10, 2009.

1. Mr Fish macrumors newbie

Hi

Hope someone can help me with this - have seen similar-ish issues in past posts but nothing that can fully help me.

Basically I have just moved in to a new houseshare - there is WIFI in the house, cable broadband (NTL IRELAND).

On my Macbook Pro (2007) I am having an issue connecting to the internet. Had the issue on Leopard and, now, on Snow Leopard.

I connect to the home network, but cannot get internet. I tried with DHCP, but Airport says I cannot connect due to the IP address being self assigned?

I tried putting it to Manual setting, inputting 192.168.1.5 (for example) as my IP and router as 192.168.1.1, but no joy.

The only way I can get it to work is to enter Airport diagnostics, reset the router when instructed to do so by Airport, and waiting for the correct IP address to be assigned. But when I shut my machine down and start up again, it's gone again. I need to go through the dfiagnostics and reset process again.

But the really annoying thing is I have Windows XP installed under boot camp, and Windows has no problem! It just automatically connects without and fussing. It just works!

Has anyone any ideas? Driving me mad, I don't like working in Windows for general browsing.

;-(

Thanks a mil!

2. jodelli macrumors 65816

jodelli

I don't know if this would apply to you, but when first connecting a PowerBook to a broadband cable modem via a D Link wireless router I had to allow or enable the PB from the networking software that was on a PC.

A different time I had to initially hook up with an ethernet cable before the wireless connection worked.

Neither of these cases used AirPort routers.

3. Mr Fish thread starter macrumors newbie

How did you do that? Through Windows?

I have popped down to a friend's house who has the same internet provider and have had no problems, so there's an issue with the router setup I suppose. Just annoying that Windows XP doesn't see it as a problem.

Could it be something to do with Static/Dynamic IP addresses being used by the router?

Doy.

I'm going to try a long reset when I get home in case it is a case of running out of IP addresses.

I love the internet when it works. But when it doesn't ...
    :eek:

4. Dunmail macrumors regular

Running out of IP addresses?????? How big is your home network? :rolleyes:

On fairly static networks like home networks, DHCP "tends" to give the same IP address to any given MAC address, the only time it is really dynamic is on servers/routers with lots of people/machines joining then leaving the network so a WiFi cafe for instance.

I had a similar issue a few weeks ago - I simply couldn't connect to the web - a Google search came up with the suggestion that it was a user account setting. Log out of your usual account and log back in on another one.

5. Mr Fish thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes indeed, I'm clutching at straws.

I had not thought of logging in with another account. Thanks, I'll try it tonight whil crossing my fingers and my toes.