Cannot connect to wifi or through ethernet 2010 macbook pro

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by luisluisbd, Sep 18, 2012.

1. luisluisbd macrumors newbie

Good evening guys,

Si Ive spent the past 3 days trying to figure out whats wrong with my macbook pro and ive narrowed it down to one situation that I think might help you guys figure it out.

My macbook will not connect through wifi or ethernet, all other devices in my home work on wifi, I removed all exceptions from my router(im not blocked), did the Pram refresh, removed all prefered networks and re entered the info for my wifi basically everything i could find then I had a breakthrough :)

I read a post where someone was asking troubleshooting questions to another member and they suggested to refresh the PRAM and if that didnt work to try and access online through the recovery option on the mac, I tried the PRAM and it didnt work, tried to access online through the revovery feature on the mac and it worked!!!!!!!, went back to the post I was reading and the guy never kept saying what was wrong.

So all in all, I can access the internet through the recovery feature(Holding command+R at startup), but I still cant access it through the normal desktop.

Please Help :)

2. hfg macrumors 68040

hfg

Did you try restarting your router?

(this may have been done when you changed some router parameters, but you might try it again)

If you check your network preferences, do you see your router IP address?
    Do you see reasonable addresses for the DNS server?
    Are you set to configure using DHCP?
    Does your computer show a valid IP address?

3. luisluisbd thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the reply, i did reset the router and cable modem. when I'm in network preferences I don't see my routers ip address, it's an ip address I don't recognize, I made sure I was connected to my router. I don't know what DNS is. Sorry for being a noob.

----------

It also says self-assigned ip

4. hfg macrumors 68040

hfg

I don't know where you are seeing "self-assigned ip"?

Do your ethernet and WiFi show Configure IPv4: "Using DHCP"?

DNS is the Domain Name Server and is on a server at your internet provider. The IP address is shown in your router parameters, and on your computer will probably show your router IP address unless you have changed it.

5. luisluisbd, Sep 18, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 18, 2012

luisluisbd thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes they all say Using DHCP. It says self-assigned ip right under wifi tab on the left in network preferences. I'm getting an error, it says WI-Fi has the self assigned ip address 169.254.51.105 and will not be able to connect to the Internet.

6. hfg macrumors 68040

hfg

Does your Network Name show up in the box to the right (if there are several, move yours to the top of the list)?

Also look through all the Advanced tabs and make sure you don't have any manually entered values. Under the Hardware tab make sure it is set to Configure: "Automatically".

7. Seanymac macrumors newbie

Internet connectivity

I am having similar issues and it is really frustrating. All my other devices connect with no problems. However, with my Mac, sometimes when I refresh a page that is displayed properly, I will get a "page cannot be displayed because safari cannot connect to the server". I get similar reactions through Google Chrome and Firefox. When I refresh again, the page pops up like nothing is wrong. I cannot explain why this occurs. Does anyone have any ideas? I talked to Apple like 5 times to no avail.

8. chriscl macrumors 6502

chriscl

Any IP address starting with 169.254.x.x is an automatically-assigned address, given by the Mac itself when it cannot find a DHCP server - it almost sounds like the DHCP service on your router isn't working?

Is it possible for you test the Mac somewhere else, at a different location? Is there a coffee-shop/library or somewhere nearby where you can test if you get an IP address wirelessly?

If your router is playing up and not assigning local IP addresses, that would explain why you can't get an address when wired or on WiFi (and thus why you can't connect to the internet).

9. hfg macrumors 68040

hfg

Is your router set up to only accept connections to known MAC addresses? If so, you will have to add your new computer to the list. Also, if you have a range of DHCP addresses it will generate, make sure it is large enough to accommodate additional connections.

One thing else you can try ... take note of the address range of your router, then manually setup your Mac with one of the available IP addresses, subnet to 255.255.255.0, and enter the address of your router as the router/gateway and DNS IP addresses. Then Apply and reboot if necessary and see if you are connected.

Note: ... at the bottom of the Network Preferences pane there is a button labeled "Assist me..." which might be of help to you.

It will probably be easiest to establish connection with a wired ethernet configuration ... and then expand that to the WiFi connection.

-howard

----------

That is also a good suggestion above to go to a Starbucks, Library, etc. that offers free open WiFi and try to connect there.

I have found Mac computers pretty good at establishing a network connection without a lot of fiddling around as PC laptops often required. If it doesn't connect, sometimes simply turning your WiFi off ... then back on, will help, or power off the computer, then turn it on and let it reboot and try reconnecting.

-howard

10. unoclay macrumors newbie

I just fixed this annoying problem by simply changing the port I was using on the router. Silly, i know, but it was this exact IP problem, and now i'm posting this from ethernet. Worth a shot.