Cannot Connect XP to Airport Express?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Laurencia7, Apr 27, 2010.

1. Laurencia7 macrumors 6502

OK,

This is driving me crazy. I bought a Belkin F5D9050 802.11g compatible usb wireless card, and it will not recognize my airport express!
    I have changed the settings in windows, and know the drivers are correct, it just won't find it as a online router/hub.

It says the network is unavailable, and there was an issue setting up wireless, it is like the windows wireless setup and the card are competing, so I cancelled the windows g setup and still nothing.

I am running SP 3 for XP, and tried chatting Belkin support and no one knows.

I installed Airport Utility, and etc and still doesn't connect.
    The only flicker I had was when I went into my mac and tried creating another network, and then it signaled a device, but would not connect.

Anyway you guys can help me...please it is driving me nuts.

2. Laurencia7 thread starter macrumors 6502

well after 8 hrs I reset the base station to a blinking amber light and now it connects to the pc, but the only way the mac and the pc share the internet connection is with a blinking amber light, not green....is that normal?

how can I get them to share the same network? please someone just help me out.

3. IvanLasston macrumors newbie

How is your Airport Express connected to your main network? Directly with Ethernet? Are you using it as a router? Are you trying to extend a wireless network (this won't work unless you have an Airport Extreme, Time Capsule or another Airport Express)

Basically you have to install the Airport software as you did. Associate with the Airport Express - use Airport Utility to set it up. Then you can adjust settings to attach it to your network.

Blinking Amber means some setting on your Airport Express needs your attention.

4. Laurencia7 thread starter macrumors 6502

well, after 12 hours and trials I solved it myself, but I am considering more people have this issue, so I will share.

(make sure any adapter you buy is 802.11g/n/b compatible)

I had a Belkin F5D9050 USB card,
    so install the latest updated driver for it, not the one with the cd!!!
    found here: Drivers
    depending on your OS, pick one...but install driver first, then connect the usb card.
    Then install the latest Airport Utility (*NOTE: there are alot of old ones that do not work out there!) Only use this one!
    Airport Utility: 5.4.2 June 2009 Airport for Windows

If the AE utility doesn't detect your base station, press the reset button (until amber light flashes quickly), and then try re-scan again! do this until it shows up, then the installer will begin, if the amber light keeps blinking you need to reset again, once it works the lights will alternate between green and amber, then stay green.

IF YOU HAVE A MAC HOOKED UP: uninstall your airport base station from the unit for now, you can install it later after you configure your pc! The PC is sensitive and will not share the network, but mac will after.

Once the green light stays on you will be connected to wireless internet. Now you can connect your mac again.
    I stumbled through this setup through trial and error, so do not quote me, but it worked for me.

If you have a password for it, write it down, you will need to enter it to connect to your base station again. This is the best way to stay online, and not have others stealing your wireless, or files.

You can share files to your PC and vise versa, just be sure to read up on sharing in Mac Osx.

If all goes well, now your PC and mac can be on the same base station at the same time.
    If it works with amber light flashing it does, but is NOT connected right.
    The light should be solid green.

TRUST ME, NO ONE HAS GOOD TIPS OUT THERE, AND CHAT SUPPORT DOES NOTHING!

I am sure I am forgetting something, but if you have an issue...just message me.

5. Laurencia7 thread starter macrumors 6502