Cannot Copy From Disc to Hard Drive

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Digital Roots, Sep 24, 2007.

1. Digital Roots macrumors newbie

I've burned some data DVDs. Now when I attempt to copy the data off the DVD to any (external) drive (OR even the start up disk) I get the "prohibited" (a white no smoking icon with pointer) symbol. The computer will not allow me to copy to the destination. I've repaired my permissions, verified and repaired the start-up disk from the original OSX Installation disc using Disc Utility. The "get info" page for the DVD has "ignore ownership on this volume" checked. All ownership & Permissions for the disc volume and HD allow for read & write access. Whats happenning? Can anyone help me in trying to fix this? :confused:

2. FJ218700 macrumors 68000

FJ218700

did you burn the DVD's natively in OS X or use another application / platform?

still, if you can see the contents when clicking the DVD icon it sounds like there is just a simple permissions error. Try dragging the contents to the "users" --> "shared" folder.

3. Digital Roots thread starter macrumors newbie

I burned the data DVDs using Toast Titanium 8. System is PowePC G5 using OSX 10.4.10. -

As i try to copy the files to any location at all I immediately get the 'prohibited' symbol as I drag the files.
    Interestingly enough, the 'cp' command line in Terminal lets me copy individual files, but using Finder copying is restricted.