cannot copy or search pdf

Discussion in 'Design and Graphics' started by revenantananias, Sep 26, 2013.

1. revenantananias macrumors newbie

revenantananias

i have a pdf from a friend. he is an author/professor. he sent me a pdf of a book of his. i own the book, but wanted pdf for my ipad. i am also using his book as a resource for a paper for my masters. but his pdf will not let me copy (so i cannot past into my word processor) nor search.
    this pdf might have come from his publisher, but can i make it so that i can copy and past portions? or am i stuck? at least i can highlight what i need, just wish i could copy/paste and search.

2. firedept macrumors 603

firedept

Most likely the PDF has security settings on it that is not allowing you to do what you are asking of it. You will either need to get a copy from your friend minus the security settings or the password to open the PDF.

There are other ways to open it up. PDF password cracker tools fall in to one or more of three major categories: tools that recover the PDF user password, tools that recover the PDF owner password, and tools that remove the PDF owner password allowing full access to the PDF file. But this can cost you money.

Try asking your friend first and see where that goes. But other problem is, if it came from his publisher, he may not be allowed to open it up for you as they may own the rights.