Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zeth

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 11, 2011
I have an external 3TB WD Elements HD connected to my MBA with OSX 10.7.1. I want to encrypt the whole drive via TrueCrypt (version 7.0a), but everytime I try I get the following error:
Code:
Error: The drive uses a sector size other than 512 bytes.

Due to limitations of components available on your platform, partition/device-hosted volumes cannot be created/used on the drive.
I tried several options, like hidden/standard volume, different encryption types, different filesystems etc., all with the same result.
It seems that in OS X Lion, Truecrypt cannot handle drives with block sizes greater than 512 bytes (see this post in TC forum). Windows users don't seem to be affected.

Can anyone reproduce this problem? I didn't find any more information on the web...

blackburn

macrumors 6502a
Feb 16, 2010
Where Judas lost it's boots.
If you only use Lion why not encrypt it with disk utility? Unless you use another system like Snow Leopard. Truecrypt under os x never worked very good with me, works fine in linux and windows tho.

zeth

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 11, 2011
If you only use Lion why not encrypt it with disk utility? Unless you use another system like Snow Leopard. Truecrypt under os x never worked very good with me, works fine in linux and windows tho.
I forgot to mention that it doesn't work in disk utility either (edit: see apple discussion forum):
Code:
Disk Erase failed with the error:

Unable to create boot loader partition due to the specifics of your partition map layout.
It works fine with my other USB drives (2TB & 1TB, each with 512 byte block size).
Formatting the 3TB HD with an unencrypted filesystem works as well.

Last edited:

blackburn

macrumors 6502a
Feb 16, 2010
Where Judas lost it's boots.
That's weird, I do have an toshiba external hd that has 4kb block size but I didn't try to encrypt it.. Looks like disk utility has a bug.

Edit: odd my toshiba hd reports an 512b block size when it clear states on the label of the hd itself that it is an 4k block size hd. Maybe the enclosure chip is doing some weird voodoo.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.