Cannot create Windows 7 install disc

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by chickenlegs, Jan 21, 2012.

1. chickenlegs, Jan 21, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 21, 2012

chickenlegs macrumors member

chickenlegs

I have been trying to install Windows 7 on a 13" MB (late 2008) model with Lion installed and all software updated. I am using Bootcamp, but cannot get the MB to create a partition and read from the iso image on the DVD. I don't quite understand why the "Create a Windows 7 install disc" tick box in Bootcamp is greyed out - I have tow other options, "Download the latest Windows support files..." and "Install Windows". I have downloaded the support files and put these on a DVD, but I can't see how to create an install disc.
    I have tried creating a partition of 40GB in BC and then clicking "Install" when the DVD is in the optical drive, but even though the DVD spins up, I get: "the installation disc cannot be found....." Hence the reason for seeing if I could create a USB installation disc.
    Any help please?

2. Ccrew macrumors 68020

Is it a Windows 7 DVD?

3. chickenlegs thread starter macrumors member

chickenlegs

Yes, it is. However, I've just done some research and I am not now sure that my MB (late 2008 model) will accept a 64 bit Windows 7 disc. I do not have a 32bit version.

4. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

Just wondering if you need to burn an ISO image (a bootable version) I can't see why your Mac wouldn't accept that.

5. Guiyon macrumors 6502a

Won't be a problem. I have the same laptop and it runs the x64 version of Windows 7 fine. How did you create the DVD? If you just dragged the ISO to the DVD, that's not going to work. You'll need to go into Disk Utility and burn the image to a DVD.

6. jpine macrumors 6502

Thanks man! I know this is an older thread, but you information solved my problem.