Cannot Decide Between Original iPhone and iPhone 3G

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by DMC-12, Mar 18, 2009.

1. DMC-12 macrumors 6502

DMC-12

OK, I need your advice.

I now have both an original iPhone and a black iPhone 3G, both 16GB.

I can't decide which one to keep and which to sell.

I have always wanted the original iPhone because I think it is the most beautiful Apple device ever created. I do not really like the looks of the iPhone 3G. I bought an iPhone 3G in August 2008, and because I canceled the plan intentionally, it ended up costing me $600. I had wanted and original at the time, but they were also selling for about $600 then.

I have had the 3G since then, and I just recently acquired a refurbished original iPhone on eBay with the intention of selling my 3G on eBay. I just got a replacement 3G, so I would probably be able to sell it for top dollar.

The original iPhone arrived on Monday, and OF COURSE, on Tuesday, Apple announced iPhone OS 3.0. The bottom line is that I apparently won't be able to use MMS or A2DP Bluetooth on the original iPhone.

Now I'm torn between keeping the 3G afterall and reselling the original, despite the fact that I never really like the 3G, and choosing the original because I love the way it looks. I'd like to have the full features of OS 3.0 when it is released. Eventual turn-by-turn GPS would be nice with the 3G (and this would make me keep it), but I don't believe GPS even works any more without a data plan, which I don't have, and even if it did, the GPS antenna seems weak and pretty unreliable in the 3G.

I'm considering just selling both of the iPhones and waiting for whatever is released in June/July.

What would you do?

2. aok1975 macrumors 6502

3. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

So wait...you had first-gen then bought a 3G, cancelled it's plan and continued to use the first-gen as your phone?

Why did you buy the 3G? Why not get an iPod?

4. koollectablz macrumors 6502

Keep original - sell 3g, give proceeds to worthwhile charity, thank the lord you are rich enough to worry about such issues and don't have to eat bark or grass.

5. instaxgirl macrumors 65816

instaxgirl

If you're going to sell the original do it now. Once 3.0 comes out and the masses realised it can't do some things prices will fall.

6. wwooden macrumors 68000

wwooden

Yeah, sounds like you have a tough life.

Me? I would choose function over the small aesthetics that the first iPhone has on the 3g.

I'll take 3g speeds, GPS, MMS and bluetooth over looks, since I use a phone case anyways and you can't see the back.

7. DMC-12 thread starter macrumors 6502

DMC-12

I didn't have an iPhone when I bought the 3G. Because both were going to cost me about $600 and the originals were all used, I chose the newer model.

I just bought the original on eBay because I decided that I wanted it for the looks and because I might be able to regain some of the cost of the 3G.

It's just that I'm in love with the looks of the original, but then there's the function of the 3G.

Yes, this is absolutely a first-world problem, but I'm just trying to make the best decision.

8. Primejimbo macrumors 68040

Same here, I have a case on mine and you can't tell. Just sell the first iPhone while you can.
    Also I see you're not a newbie, and things about yesterdays event have been all over this site for awhile.

9. Cask Guest

Keep the 3G, I am sure that Apple plans to support it for more time than the original one. And according to Apple, I think that every GPS turn by turn application will provide its own maps, so no need for a data plan.

10. Airforcekid macrumors 65816

Airforcekid

1st GEN UNLESS.....

:apple:If you do not have 3g coverage keep the 1st gen mms can be done via a jailbreak and the data will save you $10 a month. (Plus the 3G sells very high maybe buy an old powerbook g4?):apple: