Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

joojooyoufather

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 1, 2009
Hi there,
I recently recovered a word document (word program for the mac) that I had previously deleted on a lacie external drive. I got it back with data rescue II. Unfortunately, when I try and open the document it just comes up as scrambled symbol / text / garbage with lots of page breaks. My mac gives me the option of choosing some different ways of opening it but still they come up with variations of scrambled text. I was just wondering if anyone knew of a program out there which can restore my document to it's former glory or more simply where I can read what I had written previously in it. It does not have to be perfect. Many thanks.

mysterytramp

macrumors 65816
Jul 17, 2008
Maryland
If there's info you want to retrieve, regardless of the formatting, you might try opening the file in Tex-Edit Plus. It's a text editor that predates OS X, and therefore Apple's TextEdit. It has several tools you can use to delete garbage characters like the page breaks. You'll need some luck, but you could end up with most of the contents of the file.

mt

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.