Cannot delete files with keyboard

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Megatoerist, Sep 18, 2009.

1. Megatoerist macrumors newbie

Hello all,

I bought my first mc yesterday (15", 2.66 GHz) and have encountered a small problem.
    Yesterday, I was able to delete files with Fn+backspace. Today, however, the files just happily stay where they are when I use the same key combination. Using the context menu and sending them to the recycle bin works, however.
    I've tried repairing permissions, but nothing I do seems to help...

Does anybody have some advice on how to fix this?
    Thanks,
    Megatoerist

2. macinhand macrumors regular

macinhand

Try using cmd & backspace that's the only combination that has ever worked for me ;)

3. Megatoerist thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah...massive brainfart on my part. :eek:

- Megatoerist

4. coops macrumors regular

Any way of changing the default action of the 'delete' key so it does what it says on the key ;) ?
    - ie if i hit delete it deletes... no need for double key pressing malarkey.
    Just a thought.... i mean the trash can is there for mistakes, right?

Coops

5. mysterytramp macrumors 65816

mysterytramp

By malarkey, you mean Command-Delete to trash the file and you want to move the file to the trash just by hitting delete? What happens when you're renaming a file and you mistype?

Seems like you're asking for heartache, but you can probably have the Finder do what you want by going to the Keyboard preferences and clicking on the "Keyboard Shortcuts" tab.

mt

6. coops macrumors regular

Can't seem to get that option with keyboard preferences to work - will see if the menu key editor in Pathfinder will allow it (once i've bought the full version).

While renaming a file/folder name, then delete will simply erase your last character, as usual - so not sure where any heartache would appear (there again, i'm happy to use Command-x aswell ;) ....in Pathfinder or muCommander)

While looking around, i'd also wondered about all the option keys - ok, so the command key is the equivalent to the Ctrl key over at you know who... so i was wondering what then do i also have a control key... and fn and option ..... so came upon this Wiki entry about the command key and others, just in case others were curious.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Command_key

Coops

7. Richard1028 macrumors 68000

Uh... nothing? The Finder would know you're in edit mode and allow the Delete key to work on the character level until Esc or Enter is pressed.

To the OP: Just conform to the methods already given. Apple feels you are too stupid to do things like deleting and launching files using a single keystroke.

8. mysterytramp macrumors 65816

mysterytramp

You're making an assumption ... and an assumption that appears to be incorrect. When you're in "edit" mode now and type Command-delete, the file ends up in the trash.

mt

9. Richard1028 macrumors 68000

Then maybe the OSX coders could fix that. Ya think?

I said the finder *would* know that you're in Edit mode if "Delete" was coded to work that way. You were implying it's a complete impossibility to make it do this when this is standard with the windows OS.

The OP is right. There's simply no reason why deleting a file should take more than a single keystroke especially when "Undo" and "Put Back" are available in the Finder. Maybe 20 years ago there was a case for it but again, not today.

Edit: Why would you want to press CMD+Delete when editing a file name?

10. sidewinder macrumors 68020

sidewinder

You guys that are complaining about having to type "Cmd-Delete" to delete a file are over the top. Next you will complain that you have to hit "Cmd-X" to cut text.

S-

11. Richard1028 macrumors 68000

And you're complaining about people who are complaining about using Cmd-Delete. What's your point?

12. mysterytramp macrumors 65816

mysterytramp

Megatoerist suggested deleting a file with the delete key.

If you remap cmd-delete to the delete key, to find out what happens when you hit delete while editing a file name, you need to hit cmd-delete. No?

Agreed.

mt

13. sidewinder macrumors 68020

sidewinder

Richard1028,

My point is that having to type "Cmd-Delete" to delete a file is not an unreasonable key sequence. Does it make sense to be able to delete a file easier via the keyboard than it is to cut text? Not to me and I guess not to the Apple UI folks either.

If there was no easy keyboard sequence to delete a file, I would be right with your guys. But that is not the case. I have always thought it was too easy to delete a file in Windows by mistake.

S-

14. coops macrumors regular

Every time you right click on a folder in Finder with your mouse or touchpad you're in danger of accidentally moving that file to trash..... one slip of the wrist or trembly finger and poof!

Maybe apple should change it so you have to hold down the command key while you click on the 'Move to Trash' command, hmmmm? And bring up a confirmation dialog just in case - "are you sure you want to move this file to trash?" with no option of turning off the dialog in the future. ;)

If there was a separate key labelled 'Cut' JUST for that purpose - then, yes, i would complain if i had to hit Cmd-X to use it..... but there isn't.

Coops

15. sidewinder macrumors 68020

sidewinder

Coops,

You're logic is flawed as is your example.

If I just right click on a file and do nothing else, nothing happens.

The "Delete" key is really the "Backspace" key renamed and it's original function is to backspace over what you typed. Not to delete files. That is something Microsoft brought along.

Again, if the key sequence was not there at all or extremely difficult to use, your position would have some merit. As it is, it's just another example of making a mountain out of a mole hill.

S-

16. Richard1028 macrumors 68000

Oh, I see. One task is more difficult to do so they all should be for the sake of consistency? LOL!

I guess they forgot this logic in iPhoto. Magically... mysteriously... for some weird reason... the single keystroke of DELETE actually trashes a file.

17. sidewinder macrumors 68020

sidewinder

My point is that having to type "Cmd-Delete" to delete a file is not an unreasonable key sequence.

S-

18. appy112 macrumors newbie

19. hisserbee macrumors newbie

Why would you rename the "Backspace" key to be the "Delete" key unless the functionality of the key was different? Here's an article that explains towards the end exactly why the Delete key on Mac keyboards is retarded: http://lowendmac.com/mail/07/0502.html

And full Mac keyboards also have a real delete key, it's not something Microsoft brought along. Microsoft just actually prints the truth on their keys.

20. sidewinder macrumors 68020

sidewinder

Your logic is flawed too!

Look, the "delete" key without the "forward delete" symbol on it is the "backward delete" key which is the same as the "backspace" key on a PC system. My HP laptop even has the ""backward delete" symbol on the "backspace" key. The article you provide a link to fails to mention the "forward delete" symbol on the second "delete" key so the keys are not named the same. Of course, mentioning the symbol would ruin there rant so they couldn't mention it.

Using the term "backspace" is a misnomer because it does more than backspace. It deletes backwards. Apple named the key more appropriately from a user perspective which is why the original Mac had a "delete" key instead of a "backspace" key. We are stuck with the legacy "backspace" word because of ANSI ASCII standards for teletype equipment that were used for computer systems as well. The back arrow key is what actually backspaces.

Yes, it would be a good idea to include the "backward delete" symbol on the "delete" key that backspaces and deletes. But it is not necessary. It's only an issue for people that want to pick on the Mac for any reason.

My HP laptop does not have the "forward delete" symbol on it's "delete" key. Horrors......

Microsoft decided to make the "delete" key delete files. It was an arbitrary decision. It is not any more correct than Apple choosing "Cmd-Delete" to delete a file.

S-