Cannot delete item in trash

Discussion in 'macOS Mojave (10.14)' started by ashleykaryl, May 23, 2019.

1. ashleykaryl macrumors regular

ashleykaryl

I did a clean install of Mojave about a week ago, then a few days later I had a strange experience where the preferences in Mail were blank. I found an explanation to fix this online that involved renaming the container file for Mail inside the user library and restarted the Mac computer, which duly fixed the issue by generating a new one.

I moved the old folder and contents to the trash, but following various restarts, terminal scripts and using Tashit that folder containing Data > DataVaults will not empty from the trash, because it is apparently in use. This means I have to deal with the message explaining why it cannot be deleted every time I empty the trash of other items.

The items are not locked and I am struggling to understand what is happening here. Any ideas?

2. Alex Sanders74 macrumors regular

Alex Sanders74

3. ashleykaryl thread starter macrumors regular

ashleykaryl

Thank you, I gave it a try but with the same result. I have simply taken to leaving that folder in the documents folder and labelled it Mystery Mail Data Cannot Delete. It's basically zero bytes but will not delete.

4. stayupforever909 macrumors newbie

stayupforever909

Can you try

Code:
    sudo su -

Enter password
    Code:
    cd /Volumes/your-Mac-HD/Users/your-user/Documents/
    Code:
    ls -la
    Who is the directory owned by?
    What are the permissions on the directory?

5. SaSaSushi macrumors 601

SaSaSushi

The app, Trash it! has worked for me with seemingly undeleteable files when all else failed.

6. gwang73 macrumors 6502a

gwang73

Try booting into safe mode and then empty your trash.

7. DrBrush macrumors member

I had a similar problem recently with a folder I could not delete. My only solution was to boot my computer using my external CCC backup, mount the internal drive of my MBP, use the Terminal to delete the file and then reboot. Even then, the terminal commands were giving me error messages and saying the file could not be deleted, but when I rebooted on the internal drive it was gone.