Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AndreasAhston

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 3, 2013
I have an external drive with two partitions. I have deleted everything on the drive and I wish to make the two partitions into just one. But I cannot figure out how. According to articles on this I should be able to delete a partition by pushing the - symbol in the parition tab. But that option is greyed out. In disk utility the two partitions appear as two different disks of 2.2 TB and 801 GB and there is no obvious way to make one of them go away. I have enclosed a screenshot of how this looks in disk utility.
Please help.

Attachments

• disk utility problem.png
    disk utility problem.png
    81.2 KB · Views: 295

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Hmm... this is odd. Just to confirm the ONLY externals you have attached are the Lacie and the one Toshiba?

Run each of the commands below in Terminal and post the output of each of those commands up here so we see what is going on with your partition layouts.

Code:
diskutil list

Code:
diskutil cs list

AndreasAhston

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 3, 2013
Terminal Output

As you see there are two other drives, one 3TB and one 5GB in addition to the internal 250GB and the partitioned disk in question-

Attachments

• Terminal Output.png
    Terminal Output.png
    74.1 KB · Views: 160

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
As you see there are two other drives, one 3TB and one 5GB in addition to the internal 250GB and the partitioned disk in question-

I'm a bit baffled. That disk2 and disk3 look like physical disks and you are saying they are not, but rather the 3TB split up? Can you erase the 2.2 and 800 volumes?

chabig

macrumors G4
Sep 6, 2002
I suspect your external drive maker played some games with the disk structure. Try enabling Disk Utility's Debug menu and then listing all of the disks. You need to get "Fallet 02" to appear in the left column. Then repartition that.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
I suspect your external drive maker played some games with the disk structure. Try enabling Disk Utility's Debug menu and then listing all of the disks. You need to get "Fallet 02" to appear in the left column. Then repartition that.

I was wondering that also, but the odd sizes are throwing me, and I can't think of how that would be implemented? It does not look like RAID.

chabig

macrumors G4
Sep 6, 2002
It's possible that the controller in the external case doesn't support drives larger than 2TB, in which case Andreas has no chance to get a single 3TB volume unless he buys a new case and moves the drive over to it. But he should try the Debug menu first.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
It's possible that the controller in the external case doesn't support drives larger than 2TB, in which case Andreas has no chance to get a single 3TB volume unless he buys a new case and moves the drive over to it. But he should try the Debug menu first.

Ah.... that would make sense. Wouldn't that just show ~2TB only and not that other ~800GB though?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.