Cannot delete partition in disk utility

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by AndreasAhston, Dec 11, 2014.

1. AndreasAhston macrumors newbie

I have an external drive with two partitions. I have deleted everything on the drive and I wish to make the two partitions into just one. But I cannot figure out how. According to articles on this I should be able to delete a partition by pushing the - symbol in the parition tab. But that option is greyed out. In disk utility the two partitions appear as two different disks of 2.2 TB and 801 GB and there is no obvious way to make one of them go away. I have enclosed a screenshot of how this looks in disk utility.
    Please help.

Attached Files:

2. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Hmm... this is odd. Just to confirm the ONLY externals you have attached are the Lacie and the one Toshiba?

Run each of the commands below in Terminal and post the output of each of those commands up here so we see what is going on with your partition layouts.

Code:
    diskutil list
    Code:
    diskutil cs list

3. AndreasAhston thread starter macrumors newbie

Terminal Output

As you see there are two other drives, one 3TB and one 5GB in addition to the internal 250GB and the partitioned disk in question-

Attached Files:

4. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

I'm a bit baffled. That disk2 and disk3 look like physical disks and you are saying they are not, but rather the 3TB split up? Can you erase the 2.2 and 800 volumes?

5. chabig macrumors 68040

I suspect your external drive maker played some games with the disk structure. Try enabling Disk Utility's Debug menu and then listing all of the disks. You need to get "Fallet 02" to appear in the left column. Then repartition that.

6. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

I was wondering that also, but the odd sizes are throwing me, and I can't think of how that would be implemented? It does not look like RAID.

7. Bruno09, Dec 12, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 12, 2014
  8. chabig macrumors 68040

It's possible that the controller in the external case doesn't support drives larger than 2TB, in which case Andreas has no chance to get a single 3TB volume unless he buys a new case and moves the drive over to it. But he should try the Debug menu first.

9. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Ah.... that would make sense. Wouldn't that just show ~2TB only and not that other ~800GB though?