Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

FredT2

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 18, 2009
I have an external drive that has several partitions. I want to reformat the drive so that it has only one partition. The first partition cannot be removed. The next partition cannot be removed because "the previous volume cannot be resized". And the third partition is listed as "Free space" with a format of "free space". Trying to remove it fails. Is there a way just to reformat the drive without going through this mess of trying to repartition?

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
Brian has it right in reply 2 above.

Fishrrman's "guaranteed!" way to repartition a drive (or remove existing partitions):
1. BACK UP any data on the drive to somewhere else
2. ERASE the entire drive using Disk Utility to Mac OS extended, journaling enabled GUID partition format
3. RE-partition if necessary (you don't need to do this step)
4. RESTORE the data to the drive from your backup.

Guaranteed!

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Is there a way just to reformat the drive without going through this mess of trying to repartition?

Select the drive itself like in my screenshot and not the partitions below it, then click the erase button and format the entire disk to Mac OS Extended (Journaled). That will set it to one, large partition.

You also may need to click that View button there and select Show all Devices so you can see the disk and not just the partitions.

Screen Shot 2018-05-28 at 8.15.54 AM.png

Reactions: BrianBaughn

FredT2

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 18, 2009
Thanks. I had View set to "Show only Volumes" and so was not seeing the drive itself. I haven't used Disk Utility in a while and had never seen that view. Easy after that.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.