Cannot delete some files

Discussion in 'macOS' started by dacoolest, Feb 10, 2012.

1. dacoolest macrumors regular

I had parallels installed and I executed the uninstaller to remove Parallels. After that I searched the mac with the keyword "Parallels" and the search returned a set of files.

But there are few files with the .xml extension that cannot be deleted.

Secondary click menu does not have the "move to trash" option.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. simsaladimbamba, Feb 10, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 10, 2012

simsaladimbamba

What if you select the files and either press CMD+BackSpace or move them to the Trash?

You can also use the RM command in Terminal to delete files, that are problematic when deleting. But know, that they will not be put into the Trash.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    You can also delete several files by selecting them and then dragging them into the Terminal window.
    [​IMG]

3. dacoolest thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the quick reply. These files cannot be dragged. "secondary click -> open enclosing folder" doesn't work either. So I cannot find their location in the file system to use terminal to remove them.

4. simsaladimbamba

CMD+BackSpace doesn't work either?
    And what if you enabled Finder > View > Show Path Bar to see the location of a selected file? Or what if you press CMD+I to view the Get Info window to see, what permissions the file has and where it is located?
    Some seem to be aliases anyway.

5. dacoolest thread starter macrumors regular

command+delete doesn't work. "Sharing & Permissions" in Get Info says "You have unknown access". "hide path bar" is disabled in finder menus. But It the path bar is not shown.

6. simsaladimbamba

Does the Get Info window show you the location of the file?
    What if you set your own permissions via this guide?