Cannot detect/connect to ANY wifi

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by infamousgoogler, Apr 5, 2011.

1. infamousgoogler macrumors newbie

A friend of me gave me his old iPhone 3G. I do not wish to use it as a phone at all. Rather, I'd love to use it like an iPod Touch. Though, neither my wifi detection or connectivity seems to have even a glimpse of functionality. I've tried all of the little tricks - reset netword settings, reboot, update/downgrade, full restore, erase all content, play with roaming/3G/data settings - but still, nothing.

The other day, I went into the Apple Store. The "genius" told me that it was a "hardware" issue upon hearing the above explanation. He didn't look at it or anything. Another friend of mine is confident that there's a way to repair it. So, I called Apple's technical support, and before they told me they were going to charge me to assess, they said that there were "a few things" that could be at the source of this problem.

PLEASE! Do you have any help for me? I would REALLY appreciate it. Do you know that these issues might be rooted to?

Thank you!

2. mikelegacy macrumors 65816

mikelegacy

It's a hardware issue. It will need replaced. I'm sorry I can't be of more help, but it's the stone cold truth.

3. infamousgoogler thread starter macrumors newbie

But what does that mean? What could have happened inside?

Thanks!

4. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

The Wifi chip might have gone bad or the wifi antenna or many other things. Noone really knows untill they open and test it but it could be the logic board also etc...
    I wouldnt suggest guessing and keep replacing parts to figure out what's wrong cause it can get costly.
    And since its an iphone 3G I'd cut your loses and sell it as is and get a 3GS or iphone 4.