Cannot disable location services

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by ralphdn, Oct 2, 2009.

1. ralphdn macrumors newbie

For some reason, my location services option cannot be turned off. It is greyed out and locked in the ON position, making it impossible for me to change its status. I am using OS 3.1 and never have WiFi enabled, don't use it. I have reset the iPhone with no change in the situation. Can someone tell me the cause of this:

Thanks and regards,
    ralphdn
    A brief PS if this is allowed: Is it possible or recommendable to downgrade to the previous OS version when problems like this occur? I do not believe that this is an OS 3.1 problem, since I updated some time ago and I believe that this problem only began recently.

Attached Files:

2. ralphdn thread starter macrumors newbie

Found it, but...

Oh brother, on the one side I'm sorry to have troubled anyone, but on the other side this might be of interest to others. I have been using Settings->General->Restrictions for other issues and had apparently inadvertantly set the location option off in the Restrictions. After re-enabling it all is well.

So what do we learn from this? When something is wrong AND you implement "Restrictions" then have a look there.

So I've "found it, but..." I'd still like to know about the issue of downgrading back to a previous OS version and whether this is possible or recommendable.

All the best,
    ralphdn

3. Moi un Mouton macrumors 68000

If you have a 3G, it's possible to downgrade the firmware. If you have a 3GS then it isn't possible, as Apple have changed things.

I think the people who have been downgrading, in general, have been those who want to jailbreak their phones.

Apple does sometimes release firmware that is so bad in one respect or another that people want to go back to the previous version. 3.1 is certainly in that category for a significant minority of iPhone users, as posts here and on the Apple forums show.