Cannot downgrade iPad 3G from 4.3b3 to 4.2.1

Discussion in 'iPad Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by fredsarran, Feb 28, 2011.

1. fredsarran macrumors 6502

fredsarran

Hi,

I cannot downgrade iPad 3G from 4.3b3 to 4.2.1. The reason I want to do this is because I am selling it and I want the customer to use the public released firmware.

How can I do that ?
    As well, if I cannot, can I sell it with the dev firmware 4.3b3 ? Will Apple be fine with that ?

Cheers,

2. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Downgrading from 4.3 beta to 4.2.1 is tricky, and involves jail breaking your iPad. There's a thread in the iPads hacks subforum that has links to the directions. Whether or not the customer wil prefer a jailbroken device over one with a beta software, I have no idea. Apple couldn't care less, because how wil they know???

3. fredsarran thread starter macrumors 6502

fredsarran

No, I do not want to Jailbreak, not fair on the customer, and it can void the warranty.

Because I had to reset the iPad to factory settings, I restored firmware 4.3b3, when doing so, itunes showed a message basically stating that it is checking with Apple, if allowed to restore this iOS (it does not do with public released ones).

Anyway, what happens to my customer when he connects the iPad to his computer ? Does Apple detects it is a different computer and lock the iPad ? I do understand that he will be able to update to latest one via iTunes.

For note, I have a Dev account for using the betas.

4. ClutchThese macrumors 65816

ClutchThese

Just make sure you tell him what you just told us. He won't be able to install the beta firmware like you, so just make sure he is aware. Additionally, just give him a heads up so he knows he can jailbreak and downgrade if wanted.

5. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

This happens with all firmware, not just the beta ones.

It shouldn't lock up, as long as you keep the device's UDID registered under your Developer account. However, you should probably let the customer know that he cannot restore to 4.2.1, and provide him with a copy of 4.3 ipsw in case he needs to ever restore his iPad.

If you can hold off on the sale until 4.3 officially comes out, that will be for the best, though. I'd say this is part of the risk you took on when you installed beta firmware on your iPad -- if you read through all the documentation, you should have noticed the warning that once updated to a beta, you may not be able to downgrade.

6. fredsarran thread starter macrumors 6502

fredsarran

Yes, I read all docs and I came across that. And I am not surprised. Just though they might be a solution.

It does not matter if he uses 4.3b3 or 4.2.1, as long the iPad does not get locked (bricked), as long he can update with itunes to the latest one (soon 4.3). He does not need the ability to update to latest beta each time.

I hope the iPad comes back to a public one, and not dev once he updates to 4.3 when publicly released.

7. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

I'm pretty sure that'll be the case. But occasionary machines do go wonky, so your customer could potentially find himself in a situation where he needs to restore the iPad before 4.3 is officially released. Which is why I suggested you give him a copy of 4.3 ipsw along with the iPad.