Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mikeM247

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 20, 2008
Hi, would really appreciate your help. For some reason, I can-NOT download anything related to .dmg just by clicking on a "download here" or "click to download". The ensuing screen just freezes, with the progress bar at the bottom of the screen only going halfway, where it remains hung up. The only alternative is to right click on the download notice, and cick on "save link as"...and then get the .dmg file off of the desktop. The Apple people told me I'd need to bring my iMAC desktop into their stores, an expensive taxi ride for me, for them to solve this annoying problem. Any suggestions?

PS: this happens whether i use Safari =or Firefox.

pusman83

macrumors regular
May 9, 2005
Same thing happening to me, also with some .zip or .wmv files. Anyone have an idea what it might be?

pusman83

macrumors regular
May 9, 2005
In Firefox: Go to Tools --> Extensions and remove SpeedDownload
Remove the plugin as well.

Then, do a Spotlight search for "Speeddownload" and delete the file you find.

That worked for me.

timestoby

macrumors 6502
Jun 10, 2007
north devon,uk
haha i had the same problem with speed download,i was like WTF so i uninstalled it and ran onyx,i got rid of it,but just now installed it again cause i need it for rapidshare,but this time when i download stuff like dmg it doesnt use speed download for them,thank god lol.although it wasnt a big deal.

mikeM247

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 20, 2008
In Firefox: Go to Tools --> Extensions and remove SpeedDownload
Remove the plugin as well.

Then, do a Spotlight search for "Speeddownload" and delete the file you find.

That worked for me.

THANK YOU SOOOOOO MUCH!! I did =not= find SpeedDownload in the FF Extensions, absolutely not there, BUT, i did find the plugin, disabled it, and....VOILA!! END OF PROBLEM. Oh yes, and =then= i found the SpeedDownload file using the Spotlight search, and dragged it into the trash. Thank you so much.

mikeM247

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 20, 2008
Yahoo messenger download issues

Hi! This one has been vexing me for months. For some reason, i cannot download file transfers in yahoo messenger! I get a crazy popup asking what i want to use to OPEN UP the file, and i'm put into the box with Documents, Desktop, Applications, etc. And NOTHING ever leads to something i can click on to open the files!!

Any thoughts or help much appreciated.

~mike
mikeM247 is online now Report Post Edit/Delete Message

pusman83

macrumors regular
May 9, 2005
Hi! This one has been vexing me for months. For some reason, i cannot download file transfers in yahoo messenger! I get a crazy popup asking what i want to use to OPEN UP the file, and i'm put into the box with Documents, Desktop, Applications, etc. And NOTHING ever leads to something i can click on to open the files!!

Any thoughts or help much appreciated.

~mike
mikeM247 is online now Report Post Edit/Delete Message

Try starting a new thread.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.