Cannot download printer software

Discussion in 'macOS' started by fifth gen, Jan 25, 2009.

1. fifth gen macrumors newbie

So, I just got my mac, and have a new hp printer that will run on osx. Unfortenatly, I cannot find the cd it came with to install it. So I went to download it off of their website, and after I click download and wait for about 5 minutes, the "error" screen popped up (the one that comes up when it cant open a webpage, for example).

Any Ideas?

I am a new mac used too if you hadnt already guessed :D

2. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

For future reference, whenever you need help with a peripheral, you need to give the model of the peripheral. You also need to give the version of your installation of MacOS X. Apple includes drivers for most HP printers with every installation of MacOS X. However, it does not include drivers for them all.

Many printers are not supported by their manufacturer for newer versions of MacOS X. If this is the case, then the printer may be supported by Gutenprint or the OpenPrinting project of the Linux Foundation. However, if you don't give the model of your printer and your version of MacOS X, then our hands are tied.

3. atlanticza macrumors 6502a

atlanticza

If you're really stuck... try this:

Macs have the printer utility, CUPS (Common Unix Printing Service) installed and printers can be managed/installed in this way. For access to this, paste the numbers 127.0.0.1:631 into your browser.

4. fifth gen thread starter macrumors newbie

Hey thanks for the replies.

Its an HP officejet j4540.

As for version of OS X, its the newest one. Leopard correct?

Again, mac newb ;)

5. ihabime macrumors 6502

First I would suggest reading this, particularly the part about bumping.

Second, the DL from HPs website worked fine for me, it does take a while, it's a big file. It might be a connection issue on your part. Try googling for alternative DLs or just retrying HP.

6. fifth gen thread starter macrumors newbie

Sorry.

Yea your right about it taking a while, but after maybe a minute or so of the loading bar at the top (web address one) no longer moving, the "cannot display page" comes up. The same one that would appear if you were to type in a non-existing webpage.

I looked for some alternatives but no luck. I dont know, ill just keep trying I guess. Maybe ill order the CD.

Thanks for the reply.