Cannot download updates OR launch new applications

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by hannah9000, Oct 29, 2010.

1. hannah9000 macrumors newbie

I have a power mac G5 with Mac OS X 10.5 installed. I am new to macs, but not to PC's in general.
    My issue is this: I can download but not install/launch new applications. I've tried updating safari but the .pkg file won't open. I've tried a software update from the apple menu but it says there's a network error 1011 yet i'm online?! I tried a standalone download of a combo update but it stopped halfway through...I CANNOT DO ANYTHING!!!*
    The machine is working fine, no strange noises, I can work everything on the mac as it should (internet, itunes, calendar etc all fine).
    Why can't I update my software and why can't I launch my new applications/programs that I've downloaded?

2. vasanth4u macrumors member

vasanth4u

HI

Try to open the same file in another user and check whether it works .

3. hannah9000 thread starter macrumors newbie

4. bobr1952 macrumors 68020

bobr1952

5. hannah9000 thread starter macrumors newbie

6. vasanth4u macrumors member

vasanth4u

Hi

Try to open the setup file in safe mode . And also disable incase if u have any security software .Try downloading and opening some other file from different website .

7. hannah9000 thread starter macrumors newbie

What would opening it in safe mode achieve? NO file I download will install, I'm trying to install a mac os x combo update but when it asks me to select destination drive, I can't select my hard drive and it says:
    'you cannot install mac os x update combined on this volume. ERROR_INSTALL.'

That's it...so what the hell is wrong with my hard drive? I tried to partition it and it won't let me as it's the bootable drive. Fed up.

8. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

Just a tip, if someone suggests you try something, they probably have a good reason. If you've already tried it, then fine, but if you haven't tried it, then what does it hurt to try it?

In this case, booting in Safe Mode will help to determine if any third-party software or drivers could be causing a problem here.

jW

9. hannah9000 thread starter macrumors newbie

I wasn't being arsey, I just wanted to know what booting in safe mode did...I did it anyway and to no avail. Finally came to the conclusion that the os version 10.5 and build is a beta version which can't be updated. So I need to buy an os...!

10. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

Yeah, I tried to hold back so I wouldn't come across as blasting you (I struggle with that sometimes).

Where did you manage to get a beta copy of 10.5 though? That's really odd. Glad you figured it out (assuming that cures it).

jW

11. hannah9000 thread starter macrumors newbie

The machine came with the beta version of leopard on it. So I will be calling up the shop that sold it to me (via fleabay) and giving them a small piece of my mind, then I WILL be arsey!!! Spending 12 hours on google to find they've installed a useless version of the OS = a very grumpy, tired new maccie!