Cannot Drag/Paste Files

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by WVUDave, Oct 21, 2009.

1. WVUDave macrumors newbie

Any way I try does not work, not even the shortcuts.

I think it is because I deleted the StartUpitems folder thinking it was Start Up Items. I was going through deleting anything with the name of a application I no longer used. I do not know what to do, but I cannot drag or paste any files.

It afects all users. Is there anything besides Install and Archive that I can do?
    I do not have an install disk.

I am using a MacBook w/ OS X 10.5.8

2. SkippyThorson macrumors 65816

SkippyThorson

For the life of me I can not understand why people just "go and delete" things. A few of my friends have done this, and all of them ended up messing something up big time. Namely one who deleted that silly old "Utilities" folder...

Apologies, but I have to break into a speech... There is NO reason to delete and clear things if you have plenty of space and your computer is running fine. Use something simple like AppCleaner - drag the Application out of the Applications folder and into AppCleaner. It shows the Application and all files and / or folders associated with it. It is VERY unsafe to do it yourself by just guessing, especially when AppCleaner is free.

Other than an Archive and Install, you really have no other choice that I am aware of - key words, 'that I am aware of'. An Archive and Install is really no big deal anyway. 4 hours on my iMac G4 and Leopard was back to normal after a wacky Apple Store encounter left me with 10gb less than what I went in with. It's simple, and works. It reinstalls the underlying OS without messing with your stuff. I say go that route, unless you get another answer or can deal with this.

3. WVUDave thread starter macrumors newbie

Cannot drag or paste...

Do you know of any way to transport my fiels since I cannot drag or paste?

4. Gregg2 macrumors 603

From your last backup, after you reinstall.
    You do have a backup, don't you?

5. fluffyx macrumors 6502

You must archive and install.

An archive + install will almost certainly fix your issue.

Since you don't have your original install discs, you have a couple options:
    • Find your nearest Apple Store at http://www.apple.com/retail/locator . Make a Genius Bar appointment. Officially, they are supposed to charge $150 for an Archive and Install. If you ask nicely, some Geniuses will let you use their copy of the Install disc if you wait at the Bar while it works.
    • If you're under warranty or AppleCare, call 800-APL-CARE and request a replacement Restore DVD.
    • Buy an upgrade to Snow Leopard for $29 + shipping.

Good luck! I'm sorry to hear about your wounded operating system!

6. SkippyThorson macrumors 65816

SkippyThorson

An Apple Genius just past summer did an Archive and Install on my iMac G4 for free - he's the one that even asked me if I wanted him to do it. $150? That's insane. I'd just buy my own copy of the OS for a third of that price.

Depending on how old your computer is, if you're under warranty or not, and how nice you are, they should help you out no problem. I've been told many times over that Software troubleshooting is FREE, as long as they don't need to go in and really tackle a day-long issue, or it doesn't end up really being a Hardware issue.

It doesn't hurt or even cost anything to call Apple and simply ask. Why not just do that? They might even have a solution for you.