Cannot eject CD

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by leekohler, Jan 1, 2009.

1. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Ok, I've done all the tried and true stuff. I have restarted, I've restarted and held down the shift key, etc. The disc just won't eject. I haven a PM G5 dual core. Should I just shut the damn thing down, remove the drive and get the disc out that way?

2. inigel macrumors regular

inigel

I thought you had to hold the mouse button down.

Try that, if that doesn't work, your drive is broken.

3. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

Try powering up and holding down the eject key on the keyboard... the try should come out before it starts booting. Alternatively, if it's physically jammed you'll need to dismount the drive from the case and eject the tray via unbent paperclip. There should be a hole on the front bezel.

4. MacBoobsPro macrumors 603

MacBoobsPro

You need to hold the mouse button down on start up not shift for it to eject on start up. ;)

I have PMG5 too. If the mouse thing doesnt work (and there's no mechanical eject that I know of) what about grabbing the tray and pulling it out (slowly of course) while the drive is still in place? Not ideal but you would pretty much be doing the same thing once you took the drive out.

Thats what I would do and if the drive implodes and destroys half the universe just buy another drive. There dirt cheap. :)

EDIT: Forget everything I said. I forgot theres a mechanical pinhole eject hole on the front of the drive. So you would need to take the drive out. Hehe.

5. leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

Tried everything, even the pinhole. What now?

6. MacHappytjg macrumors 65816

Drive no good? Assuming the elastics or w.e are broken, Best bet would be to take it out i guess.

7. leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

Then what? How do I get the disc out? This will be the second drive that's died in this thing.

8. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

What happened when you shove in a long pin? Usually something that's 5cm will work. Doens't the tray pop out?

9. ToXicWaSTe macrumors member

ToXicWaSTe

Solution

(works with slot-in drives, maybe you can do something like it) AT YOUR OWN RISK!!!.. My disc jammed in my MBP and it wouldnt eject. nothing worked, I couldnt hold the mouse in, couldn't manually dismount the disc and i even tried waving the rubber chicken around, over my head... in the end i used a very thin Credit card like plastic square, and put it carfully into the disc slot and holding down the CD, with it. Then i rebooted the computer. the drive thinks there is a disc error and spits out the cd. This useually works the first time, but some times you have to combine it with holding down the mouse button or trying CAREFULLY to move the plastic aroud getting it in a certain position, that makes it spit out the CD) ... Patients is a vertue in this case... . AND BE CAREFULL, i ruined a DVD once because i was in a hurry.

10. leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

Well, I got the disc out. I was finally able to just pull the tray open. I got the disc out and the drive seems to e fine. Said disc is going back to the store for an exchange.