Cannot email scanned photos/too large.

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by barneyhairball, Jun 12, 2011.

1. barneyhairball macrumors newbie

I have saved my scanned photos to 'Pictures'.

I want to attach them to an email, but they are too big.

What do I do?

Please help, it took me ages to scan them.

Thanks.

2. telecomm macrumors 65816

telecomm

There's another way to do this if you've imported them into iPhoto, but it sounds like you haven't.

So...

Open the photo in Preview, go to Tools>Adjust Size.... After you've scaled the image, select File>Save As... and save it with a new name. Then email your reduced-size images.

3. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

If you want to email two or three photographs as attachments, then OK. However, I infer that you have a lot of very large files.

If this is the case, then you should do what many other people do. Upload your photographs to Picasa or some other photograph sharing site. Then you should email a link to the people with whom you want to share your photographs. Otherwise, your recipients may find that their systems are frozen-out while they download megabytes of photography files.

4. snberk103 macrumors 603

If you don't want to use a photo sharing site, you can also use Dropbox. Dropbox essentially puts a folder on your friend's system that is synchronized with your a folder on your system.

5. Pomeroy macrumors 6502

Pomeroy

So over looked is Mail's ability to do this for you, Drop a few photos into Mail and a button will appear on the bottom right corner of the Compose window and you can select a smaller size to send.

6. mackmgg macrumors 65816

mackmgg

Or do what telecomm mentioned. If you upload them to iPhoto, it gives you a lot more options. When you click the Mail button there, it will automatically downsize them for email

7. snberk103 macrumors 603

Sometimes you don't want to send the smaller version, but instead the full-sized image. The OP wasn't clear whether they were looking for a way to shrink the image, or a way to send the original full-sized images.

8. Pomeroy macrumors 6502

Pomeroy

You don't need to do this from iPhoto, Mail will do it on it's own.

9. MacmancUK macrumors member

That is exactly what I do for individual photo's

For bulk reduction, I use GraphicConvertor, usually down to 300kb file size for web. Very easy to do this

It is also a brill program for slideshow, moving photo's to other folders, cropping, live rotation of skewed photo's etc

I don't touch iPhoto, don't like the filing system.