Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

drobone

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 5, 2012
I have found numerous files in my trash with unusual names like "þøúmo|/ý.exã" and "ð³ë¾Ž\ø^.tæ" that I cannot delete. Can someone tell me about them and what should I do?:confused:

drobone

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 5, 2012
Thanks I am trying each but either it is very slow or it is not working

chown33

Staff member
Aug 9, 2009
A sea of green
Thanks I am trying each but either it is very slow or it is not working

This, in conjunction with the mystery garbled filenames, suggests the possibility of a hard drive going bad.

Before repairing permissions, emptying the trash, or anything else, I recommend a Verify Disk in Disk Utility.

Only proceed with the other actions if it finds no errors. If it finds any errors, consider getting a new disk and doing a complete backup ASAP. If the disk is really going bad, I've never known it to get better by itself, only worse.

kpgh554

macrumors regular
Dec 29, 2011
iver england
I have found numerous files in my trash with unusual names like "þøúmo|/ý.exã" and "ð³ë¾Ž\ø^.tæ" that I cannot delete. Can someone tell me about them and what should I do?:confused:

if you running snow leopard or lower. i'd try iempty as remove most annoying apps that won't go away. should find it on macupdate.com

jackc

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2003
Usually if I use Secure Empty Trash, it will work on files that wouldn't delete otherwise

Ffej

macrumors newbie
May 17, 2012
Empty Trash

Most Trash problems are due to system, or file corruption.
Do these in order.
FIRST BACKUP ALL YOUR IMPORTANT FILES(optical disks plus time machiene plus ftp sites, email them to yourself, or use an online backup program).
Don't take chances with your data.
The second thing to do is to put the offending file, or files in the trash and restart holding the <RETURN> key,"safe mode".
Then use the disk utility to repair permissions.
Then run disk utilty from the startup disk and repair the disk.
Get a utility like disk warrior and rebuild the directory of the startup disk.
Trash and other problems are symptoms of impending failures.
Using special utilities to empty the trash does not fix the problem.
If all else fails do a clean install of your system and restore your files and programs.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.