Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hasta666

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 23, 2018
Hello everyone,

I just replaced my iPhone 6s with an Xs. I'm running the latest iOS 12. When I first signed in with my iCloud account and enabled iCloud Music Library, I realized that Explicit content couldn't be played. Now I tried the following but nothing works:
- Disable Content & Privacy Restrictions
- Enable Content & Privacy Restrictions --> Set Music to Explicit
- Disable Screen Time

I always got the "This item can't be played because it contains explicit content." message.

I also tried to reboot the iPhone and logout of my iCloud account.

Note that I didn't use an iPhone backup (6s to Xs for instance) but I started fresh, just logging into my iCloud account.

Thanks.

Reactions: IowaLynn

rufas2000

macrumors member
Jun 5, 2017
Could there be a profile installed?

"To find out if your device has a profile, go to Settings > General > Profiles."

I don’t have the issue but I also don’t see a profiles tab. Does it only show up on devices / accounts that have one?

GreyOS

macrumors 68040
Apr 12, 2012
I don’t have the issue but I also don’t see a profiles tab. Does it only show up on devices / accounts that have one?
Yes.
Edit: actually, I have it even without profiles. But certainly I’ve seen it missing before, when there have been no profiles.
Edit 2: after going into it to see no profiles, it then disappeared after backing out. So more confident in my initial ‘Yes’ now.
I don't see the Profiles tab.
See above

tromboneaholic

Suspended
Jun 9, 2004
Clearwater, FL
Yes.
Edit: actually, I have it even without profiles. But certainly I’ve seen it missing before, when there have been no profiles.
Edit 2: after going into it to see no profiles, it then disappeared after backing out. So more confident in my initial ‘Yes’ now.

See above
This

cansuds

macrumors regular
Jan 19, 2018
Please help I went to restriction setting but I can’t find any thing related to explicit content in Apple Music

I can’t play explicit music either. I went through every tab on the restrictions menu - and nothing. No solution. Restart doesn’t fix it either.

IowaLynn

macrumors 68020
Feb 22, 2015
iPhone X with iOS 12.1 can't open or use Podcasts. Tells me that Restrictions are enabled, they are not.
Went through all the screen time settings, after looking in General.

New feature, new bugs.

Reactions: cansuds

rbrian

macrumors 6502a
Jul 24, 2011
Aberdeen, Scotland
It’s probably just a bug which will be fixed in point update, but it does make me wonder... there’s been news that some of the TV series Apple is making have been delayed so that explicit content can be removed. I tend to associate this kind of puritanical censorship with scary religious cults rather than wholesome family values. There’s an interesting debate to be had about this - is modern society so evil that goodness looks bad? Or is religious brainwashing so prevalent that normal human nature is considered obscene?

cansuds

macrumors regular
Jan 19, 2018
Apple support confirmed this bug. And I can't listen to music right now.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-10-01 at 01.05.07.png
    Screen Shot 2018-10-01 at 01.05.07.png
    68.9 KB · Views: 828

RobHandz

Cancelled
Aug 10, 2018
Still present in iOS 12.1. Try the following. It worked for me:

- Open iTunes Store
- Search for Explicit content (Song, Album etc. whatever...)
- Try a purchase (doesn't matter if it's greyed out)
- You should get a prompt that you have enable explicit content
- Confirm
- Money

Reactions: alessandro893
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.