Cannot enter internet recovery (error -2006F)

zerozoneice

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 26, 2013
Just got a good deal on a 2016 13" MBPro w/touchbar and 512 SSD.
Wanted to clean wipe it and reinstall OS, but it cannot enter internet recovery, gives me a -2006F error.

I reset the NVRAM and SMC before attempting another internet recovery but gave me same error.

Normal recovery however works fine, i formatted the SSD and reinstalled Sierra from there.
Should i be worried about anything?! :)

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
yea and it gave me -2005F
nice variation :)

I'm using 5ghz spectrum, can it be incompatible and only recognize 2.4ghz?
That is usually because you are using a wifi encryption type not recognized by Internet recovery. Just to get this done, can you just open up the wifi with no password?

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
WPA2-PSK not recognized?
I can't remember the list of supported wifi types for this, and Apple has removed the tech document that listed it. I recall WEP and WPA Enterprise won't work... but don't remember what else was on the list. It would be worth a try just top open it up for this just to see if that fixes it.

zerozoneice

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 26, 2013
I can't remember the list of supported wifi types for this, and Apple has removed the tech document that listed it. I recall WEP and WPA Enterprise won't work... but don't remember what else was on the list. It would be worth a try just top open it up for this just to see if that fixes it.
ok thx i'll try next time i wipe out the notebook

Reactions: Weaselboy
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.