cannot enter text onto a website to log in...!!

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by cheekymonkey, Feb 2, 2009.

1. cheekymonkey macrumors newbie

hi guys

i regularly logon to a website but since getting my first mac at christmas i am unable to login!!

The company whose website it is say everything ok their end and can all logon so can my business partner on his pc!!

when i click into the email box to enter my email i start typing and nothing appears!!

strange as only does it on this one site!!!!

any ideas is it my mac settings at all?? as everybody else using pc can still login!!!

any help gratefully received. ...

2. sickmacdoc macrumors 68020

sickmacdoc

As a thought if you were to provide the website address we could try it and offer more assistance. Naturally we would not be able to log in, but could see if we were able to enter any characters to determine if it specific to your system or not.

Have you tried other browsers than the one you are currently using? That often helps resolve problems with particular sites.

3. velocityg4 macrumors 68040

velocityg4

Have you only tried logging in with Safari? You could try Firefox and Opera. Some sites are just poorly made and do not work right with all browsers. By the way the log in box seems to spaz out and jump around the page with Firefox in Windows occasionally when moving the mouse in and out of the log in box area.

Also have you tried clicking on each of the Log in boxes and typing in the info then clicking login, even if you can not see anything you typed. On TomsHardwareGuide when posting a comment on a news article with Firefox I can not see anything I type. But if I post it everything I typed shows up.

I'm not at my Mac right now so I can not test the site in OS X.

4. sickmacdoc macrumors 68020

sickmacdoc

Yes, that helps!

Well there do appear to be some oddities to the web site code when trying to enter login data in Safari and the latest Firefox browsers, but I have found a workaround that will get you past that screen anyways.

When the page first appears, rather than clicking in the username field to begin the entry, don't click anything at all. Press the "tab" key several times and watch the highlight progress until the username field is highlighted. You can then type in the info (and it will show), press tab again to advance to the password field, enter your password and press tab one more time so the button is highlighted. Then click it or press Enter and it will log you in.

In the case of Safari, it seems pressing tab 7 times will get you to the right place on my system- but on FireFox it takes several more presses.

Not a great solution, but at least one that works on a site that probably works perfectly on Internet Explorer browsers on PCs as is often the case! :(

Hope that helps get started anyway!

5. cheekymonkey thread starter macrumors newbie

thank you!!!

thank you very much guys!! the info you both supplied has been very useful.

and yes it does work by tabbing across to the login boxes!!!

why didn't i think of that !!! :)

thank you so much thats helped me greatly to complete some work this afternoon..!!!!!

6. sickmacdoc macrumors 68020

sickmacdoc

Always glad to hear a fix works. Thanks for letting us know that it did!

7. NightGeometry macrumors regular

Looks like they try doing something funky with javascript when you mouse over the log in area. Seems to work in Firefox (indeed, you can make the log in area 'dance :) ).

I don't really know javascript well enough to try working out what they are doing (and I've no idea why - never seen that approach before).

My best suggestion would be to file a bug report, and use firefox until it is fixed.

EDIT
    Sorry, should have refreshed the page before replying. Didn't realise how long this tab had been open...

8. angelneo macrumors 68000

Not really javascript, just some fancy and unnecessary CSS especially on the :hover part (changing the display type)

9. NightGeometry macrumors regular

Fair enough, shows how little i know :)

I just liked the way I could make it freak out on Firefox.

10. Wikinerd macrumors 6502

alternately, you can try several browsers, notably Camino or Opera.