Cannot 'Erase and Install' OS X

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Ariez, Jul 20, 2007.

1. Ariez macrumors regular

Im using the same CD that came with the macbook. I wanna "erase and install" OSX on it because I just sold it but everytime I try it, I get this:

[​IMG]

I tried to do it the OS and I tried holding down C, both lead me to this screen. Any help?

2. Jestered macrumors 6502

Are you positive that is the same disk that came with the computer. If it is an install disk from a different model, it won't work. That message normally means the install disk is not for that particular model of Mac.

3. Ariez thread starter macrumors regular

Yes positive. In fact, Ive done this before with the exact same disks. Only thing that changed is I swapped hard drive from macbook to blackbook without formating it.

4. Jestered macrumors 6502

I am pretty sure there is nothing stored on the drive about the particular model of mac you are using....

Have you tried to initialize/erase the drive before going through the installation process?

5. Ariez thread starter macrumors regular

It use to boot into OSX but I formatted the drive because I thought a good format will fix the problem....but it hasnt.

Should I go to a mac genius? Will they provide me with another disk?

6. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

7. MikeTheC Guest

MikeTheC

Gallifrey -- Capitol City, Prydonian Sector
    Unless Apple's gone and done something really strange on their Intel-based Macs, your ability to nuke the computer has NOTHING to do with the present contents of your HDD. In fact, you should be able to start up from the Tiger/x86 DVD without a HDD installed (though it'll probably give you a message saying you're a very silly user for trying this).

Best guess is that something somewhere has gotten changed on your motherboard. Have you done any kind of firmware updates on this Mac?