Cannot execute binary file Please help

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by grandeurfly, Aug 13, 2012.

1. grandeurfly macrumors newbie

Last login: Tue Aug 14 00:00:52 on ttys000
    john-qs-MacBook-Pro:~ johnq$ /Volumes/PATRIOT/Pro\ Tools\ HD\ 9.0.2/B.\ Pro\ Tools\ 9\ Full\ Installer/Pro_Tools_902_Full_Installer_71093 ; exit;
    -bash: /Volumes/PATRIOT/Pro Tools HD 9.0.2/B. Pro Tools 9 Full Installer/Pro_Tools_902_Full_Installer_71093: cannot execute binary file

Here is the error I get when I try to install this file..Anyone know why?

2. geoffreak macrumors 68020

geoffreak

Is this file a Windows executable? Are you sure you have execution permissions on the file (chmod +x yourfile)?

3. grandeurfly thread starter macrumors newbie

No its a mac file and whats chmode+x?..i just got this macbook 2day with the purpose of using it for avid pro tools..i dl'd this file but when i try to run the full installer this is what it tells me

4. Fed macrumors 6502

chmod changes the permissions of a given file. There he's saying 'Give ___ permission to execute' (you've also got: 'read' and 'write').

What type of file is it? Right-click on it, select 'Get Info' and tell us what it is. It may need the help of an application to run/open it.

5. grandeurfly thread starter macrumors newbie

Its suppose to be an installation file for me to to install the program pro tools. and it tells me i only have the option to read. There is no file extension on the end of the file.

6. grandeurfly thread starter macrumors newbie

and Ive moved the file from my flash drive to my desktop and it shows as a dark grey box with green lettering in top left that says exec