Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

RossMilstein

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 28, 2009
Any help appreciated.
I have a MacPro without an Airport Card.

I have a new Airport Extreme getting Internet from a Cable Modem.
My wife has a PC with a wireless card and she can see my Airport, however we need to extend the network as she is using the PC in the kitchen and the internet doesn't reach her office.

I also have a Saucer shaped Airport Extreme and two Airport Express G devices.
My MacPro can only see the additional airport devices when they are hardwired into the Mac via ethernet cables, which obviously is no use.
When they are disconnected, they don't show up in the airport utility.

The goal is to extend the internet network with the Saucer Extreme and use the Expresses to use Airtunes to share my itunes library.

Could this problem with not extending the network be due to not having a airport card? I would think having the airport extreme hard wired into it would solve the problem. Is there a magic menu I am missing?

Thanks all.
:Ross

pprior

macrumors 65816
Aug 1, 2007
Any help appreciated.
I have a MacPro without an Airport Card.

I have a new Airport Extreme getting Internet from a Cable Modem.
My wife has a PC with a wireless card and she can see my Airport, however we need to extend the network as she is using the PC in the kitchen and the internet doesn't reach her office.

I also have a Saucer shaped Airport Extreme and two Airport Express G devices.
My MacPro can only see the additional airport devices when they are hardwired into the Mac via ethernet cables, which obviously is no use.
When they are disconnected, they don't show up in the airport utility.

The goal is to extend the internet network with the Saucer Extreme and use the Expresses to use Airtunes to share my itunes library.

Could this problem with not extending the network be due to not having a airport card? I would think having the airport extreme hard wired into it would solve the problem. Is there a magic menu I am missing?

Thanks all.
:Ross

It's not clear to me exactly what you're trying to do - are you saying you have:

1 - new airport extreme
2 - old airport (saucer)
3 -two airport expresses?

If you do, the easiest thing to do is place one of the airport express devices between your airport extreme and her office, then use airport utility to enable it to extend the network.

You -can- hardwire two airport extreme units and have both broadcasting, but that gets a lot more complicated.

Check page 41

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.