Cannot find Airport Express N 1st gen

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by MrMister111, Aug 22, 2014.

1. MrMister111 macrumors 68020

Just bought a Airport express N 1st Gen (plugin type) to help boost my WiFi in my house.

I have an iMac with Mavericks on. I also have a Time Capsule for internet. All works fine.

I reset the AE and plugged in and have a flashing amber, I goto Airport utility on my iMac or iPhone or iPad , and cannot see the Airport Express at all. I've switched off timed access on my Time Capsule, restarted etc but nothing can see it.

I used to be able to use an older version of Airport Utility but cant now on Mavericks.

Can anyone help me please
    thanks

2. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

The problem there is you need the older Airport Utility version 5.6 for the router and it won't install on Mavericks. There is however a work around here that will let you install and run it on Mavericks.

3. Bruno09 macrumors 68020

I think you can use AU 6.3 with an Express N 1st generation : I do.
    http://hpics.li/e8d6123

(I also use AU 5.6.1 on Mavericks, though)

To MrMister111 : did you connect the AE to your TC via Ethernet ?

4. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Looks like you are correct. I would swear I read otherwise. Thanks for the correction. :)

5. Bruno09 macrumors 68020

What you said is right for the AE b/g only, not N : you can't use AU 6.3 for these.

6. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Yeah... that "first gen" is what threw me. Apple in their infinite wisdom named the second model Express the "first gen." I was thinking of the first model Express (the G one) like you said.

7. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

What happens if you plugged in a Mac or PC with Wi-Fi disabled and configured it over Ethernet?

8. MrMister111 thread starter macrumors 68020

Never tried wired tbh as I want it to extend my WiFi so was hoping to be able to just setup using WiFi.

I could go wired temp but obviously need to use it on WiFi

9. Bruno09 macrumors 68020

You need to connect it via Ethernet, or to connect to ITS wifi network to set it up.

After a reset, the AE is set to "create a wireless network" by default.

Since you want to use it to "extend a wireless network", you need to re-configure the AE, do it over Ethernet as it is the easiest way.

10. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

You can configure using Ethernet. Does it show in Settings -->Wi-Fi on an iOS device?

11. MrMister111 thread starter macrumors 68020

Cannot find Airport express N 1st gen

Thanks
    Not sure what a ITS WiFi is sorry.

I thought (also looking at instructions), it states that it should just show up in airport utility after plugging in?

I'll have to try Ethernet then. Really thought it would setup in WiFi no matter what mode in though.

My iPhone won't see it it in airport utility or in settings>WiFi either.

12. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

What software is your iPhone running? When he says "its Wi-Fi" he means that the AirPort will broadcast a network you can configure it with like "Apple Network ABC12345".

Try doing another factory reset and then you can try configuring over Ethernet.

13. MrMister111 thread starter macrumors 68020

iOS v7.1.2 no jailbreak standard iPhone 5S. Yeh it won't see any other WiFi except my current home WiFi

14. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

Then try configuring over Ethernet. Once it is done you can disconnect the Ethernet cable and you should be golden.

15. MrMister111 thread starter macrumors 68020

Setup using Ethernet cable great, now sees it and setup to extend the wifi.

However now when I unplug the ethernet, it just says it can't see the AE again. I've plugged in a few different sockets, closer to the TC, but just flashes amber and in Airport Utility just says was previously attached to network, do you want to fogey it.

So I've reset it again, no cable plugged in, and back to square 1.....:confused:

16. Bruno09 macrumors 68020

I guess you are trying to extend the wireless network of the Time Capsule, right ?

When you set the AE up to "extend a wireless network", did you select the TC's network, and enter the password ?

(remember that you can't extend wirelessly the wireless network of a non-Apple device)

17. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

When you had it running, what firmware were you running?

18. MrMister111 thread starter macrumors 68020

Think it was 7.6.1 but I let it update the firmware to 7.6.4 so presume it's that now.

19. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

Were you able to reconfigure now?