Cannot find Airport Express N 1st gen

MrMister111

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jan 28, 2009
UK
Just bought a Airport express N 1st Gen (plugin type) to help boost my WiFi in my house.

I have an iMac with Mavericks on. I also have a Time Capsule for internet. All works fine.

I reset the AE and plugged in and have a flashing amber, I goto Airport utility on my iMac or iPhone or iPad , and cannot see the Airport Express at all. I've switched off timed access on my Time Capsule, restarted etc but nothing can see it.

I used to be able to use an older version of Airport Utility but cant now on Mavericks.

Can anyone help me please
thanks

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
The problem there is you need the older Airport Utility version 5.6 for the router and it won't install on Mavericks. There is however a work around here that will let you install and run it on Mavericks.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
What you said is right for the AE b/g only, not N : you can't use AU 6.3 for these.
Yeah... that "first gen" is what threw me. Apple in their infinite wisdom named the second model Express the "first gen." I was thinking of the first model Express (the G one) like you said.

Altemose

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2013
Elkton, Maryland
Just bought a Airport express N 1st Gen (plugin type) to help boost my WiFi in my house.

I have an iMac with Mavericks on. I also have a Time Capsule for internet. All works fine.

I reset the AE and plugged in and have a flashing amber, I goto Airport utility on my iMac or iPhone or iPad , and cannot see the Airport Express at all. I've switched off timed access on my Time Capsule, restarted etc but nothing can see it.

I used to be able to use an older version of Airport Utility but cant now on Mavericks.

Can anyone help me please
thanks
What happens if you plugged in a Mac or PC with Wi-Fi disabled and configured it over Ethernet?

MrMister111

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jan 28, 2009
UK
What happens if you plugged in a Mac or PC with Wi-Fi disabled and configured it over Ethernet?

Never tried wired tbh as I want it to extend my WiFi so was hoping to be able to just setup using WiFi.

I could go wired temp but obviously need to use it on WiFi

Bruno09

macrumors 68020
Aug 24, 2013
Far from here
You need to connect it via Ethernet, or to connect to ITS wifi network to set it up.

After a reset, the AE is set to "create a wireless network" by default.

Since you want to use it to "extend a wireless network", you need to re-configure the AE, do it over Ethernet as it is the easiest way.

MrMister111

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jan 28, 2009
UK
Cannot find Airport express N 1st gen

You need to connect it via Ethernet, or to connect to ITS wifi network to set it up.

After a reset, the AE is set to "create a wireless network" by default.

Since you want to use it to "extend a wireless network", you need to re-configure the AE, do it over Ethernet as it is the easiest way.

Thanks
Not sure what a ITS WiFi is sorry.

I thought (also looking at instructions), it states that it should just show up in airport utility after plugging in?

I'll have to try Ethernet then. Really thought it would setup in WiFi no matter what mode in though.

You can configure using Ethernet. Does it show in Settings -->Wi-Fi on an iOS device?
My iPhone won't see it it in airport utility or in settings>WiFi either.

Altemose

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2013
Elkton, Maryland
Thanks
Not sure what a ITS WiFi is sorry.

I thought (also looking at instructions), it states that it should just show up in airport utility after plugging in?

I'll have to try Ethernet then. Really thought it would setup in WiFi no matter what mode in though.

My iPhone won't see it it in airport utility or in settings>WiFi either.
What software is your iPhone running? When he says "its Wi-Fi" he means that the AirPort will broadcast a network you can configure it with like "Apple Network ABC12345".

Try doing another factory reset and then you can try configuring over Ethernet.

MrMister111

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jan 28, 2009
UK
iOS v7.1.2 no jailbreak standard iPhone 5S. Yeh it won't see any other WiFi except my current home WiFi

MrMister111

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jan 28, 2009
UK
Setup using Ethernet cable great, now sees it and setup to extend the wifi.

However now when I unplug the ethernet, it just says it can't see the AE again. I've plugged in a few different sockets, closer to the TC, but just flashes amber and in Airport Utility just says was previously attached to network, do you want to fogey it.

So I've reset it again, no cable plugged in, and back to square 1.....:confused:

Bruno09

macrumors 68020
Aug 24, 2013
Far from here
I guess you are trying to extend the wireless network of the Time Capsule, right ?

When you set the AE up to "extend a wireless network", did you select the TC's network, and enter the password ?

(remember that you can't extend wirelessly the wireless network of a non-Apple device)

Altemose

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2013
Elkton, Maryland

However now when I unplug the ethernet, it just says it can't see the AE again. I've plugged in a few different sockets, closer to the TC, but just flashes amber and in Airport Utility just says was previously attached to network, do you want to fogey it.

So I've reset it again, no cable plugged in, and back to square 1.....:confused:
When you had it running, what firmware were you running?

Luther Mac

macrumors newbie
Oct 31, 2015

Same issue here. Once I unplugged the Airport Express (from power) and moved it to the proper room, I couldnt get it to re-link to the hidden network wirelessly. I have all the latest firmwares.

In fact, I cannot even get it consistently to setup via the ethernet. Worked once. Failed the other 2 times. Same exact setup procedure.

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1st-gen-airport-express-networking-issues.2099179/