Cannot find files taking up space on my Macbook Pro

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jerriji, Feb 25, 2013.

1. jerriji macrumors newbie

I just purchased a used 2011 i7 Macbook Pro with a 240gb SSD drive. When I go to "about this Mac" under "storage" it shows only 104gb available with 34gb of photos, 21gb of backup and 70gb of other being taken up. I've looked everywhere to find the files that are taking up space......nada.

I don't want to migrate over the 170gb of stuff on my iMac that i'm selling until I have a clear and free HD on the MBP.

I've created admin user, deleted the old user, did a command R on startup, opened disk utility and did a repair disk, restarted the computer and it still shows more than half the HD being used.

Your comments and suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

jerry

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Download and use OmniDiskSweeper This will display all files/folders sorted by size

3. jerriji thread starter macrumors newbie

4. glenthompson macrumors 68000

glenthompson

Why not re-install OS X? Then you can run migration assistant to move everything over from your iMac and have a clean machine. That way you don't need to worry about what the previous owner left behind.

5. jerriji thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks. It came with 10.8 on it. Isn't 10.8 a download only? Is there another way to re-install it without having to purchase the download?

6. Mr. Retrofire macrumors 601

Mr. Retrofire