cannot find Windows HD on startup holding option

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by onedayhero, Sep 9, 2009.

1. onedayhero macrumors newbie

Hello, I'm having some trouble.

I've used the bootcamp assistant to create a 200 GB partition for Windows. I installled windows 7 x64 on this partition, everything is going well so far. I'm able to press the option key after installation and run windows and perform some updates (note, I couldn't install the required software IN windows from the snow leopard disk, let's hope this is not the source of my problem).

Everything went well so I booted back to OSX and I noticed that I needed some more partitions, so I've split my Macintosh HD further into a Media and a School partition. I didn't touch the windows partition though.

After experiencing (before) with hackintosh computers I know that i have to rewrite the boot configuration of the harddrive. Because now I'm not seeing the Windows HD anymore while holding the option key at startup and therefore unable to boot into Windows anymore. Even parallels can't discover the Windows partition.

I've tried repairing permissions, and nothing. I've tried to use the repair option on the Windows 7 disk which states it can't be done.

What can I do? Do I have to repartition it again in an different order (bootcamp states that it can only create a Windows partition if there's only 1 partition in the harddrive, so it's logical to repartition the drive after bootcamp created the Windows HD or even after the installation of Windows itself). Perhaps I need to rewrite the boot config of the mac, which I don't have a clue about.

Being 64 bit windows is not an issue, because it worked at first (before repartitioning)

Please help

2. sus2bhai macrumors newbie

I've the same problem

can anybody suggest the solution
    i'm already tired of googling with no succes

3. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

My understanding is you can only have the 2 partitions... 1 for OSX and 1 for Windows
    Multiple partitions are not supported on the boot drive in these circumstances

At least that is how I have understood it

4. sus2bhai macrumors newbie

Thanks for reply

ur reply seems to be partially correct

coz, if i create a partition (for entertainment) other than osx and bootcamp then works fine (displays Macintosh and Bootcamp on startup)

but if i create another partition (4th) from osx drive then bootcamp is disappearing.

this happened to me THRICE till now

still searching for a solution