Cannot find wireless network

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Toro KMA, Jul 12, 2010.

1. Toro KMA macrumors newbie

Hi

I purchased a MacBook Pro today. I have an iMac. I connect to the Internet via a NetGear wireless router. My son has an xBox that also connects to the Internet this way.

However, I cannot find the network when I started setting up my MacBook. I rescanned several times and couldn't find it. There were other networks from the neighborhood but not mine.

I tried going into Other Networks. I checked the name of the network on my son's xBox and I checked the name and password via Key Chain Access. I was also able to get the password from Key Chain. I tried both network names as well as the password but it wouldn't work. I tried again when Network Configuration asked me if I wanted to access a closed network but no dice.

What am I doing wrong?

Oops, Mods, I apologize. I meant to put this in the MacBook Pro section. Sorry. Please move.

2. sauer228 macrumors member

Check the network settings on your router. It sounds like the SSID is not being broadcast and/or your MAC filter is enabled. Whenever I need to connect a new device to my network I have to temporarily broadcast the SSID so the device can establish an initial connection. After that it connects fine.

3. bigjobby macrumors 65816

Edit: oops... wrong answer (please ignore this post).