Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JimmyTW87

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 24, 2013
I would like to send an SMS message to an iPhone user who I know is out of data range but has mobile reception. I want to send as SMS so it doesn't disappear in the ether or get delayed.

I have recently discovered that I am unable to hold down on the iMessage until Send as Text Message appears like I could before, all I get are the options Copy and More...

To be clear i am running an iPhone 6 plus, iOS 8.0.2, iMessage and Send as SMS are both checked in Message settings. I have tried disabling iMessage and FaceTime, resetting network settings then reactivating, with no success.

I thought i was generally up on the software and its nuances having ran all the betas on my 5S.

Is anyone else experiencing this issue? Any Clues?

On 3 Network, UK.

Paddle1

macrumors 601
May 1, 2013
I would like to send an SMS message to an iPhone user who I know is out of data range but has mobile reception. I want to send as SMS so it doesn't disappear in the ether or get delayed.

I have recently discovered that I am unable to hold down on the iMessage until Send as Text Message appears like I could before, all I get are the options Copy and More...

To be clear i am running an iPhone 6 plus, iOS 8.0.2, iMessage and Send as SMS are both checked in Message settings. I have tried disabling iMessage and FaceTime, resetting network settings then reactivating, with no success.

I thought i was generally up on the software and its nuances having ran all the betas on my 5S.

Is anyone else experiencing this issue? Any Clues?

On 3 Network, UK.

In Settings > Messages, is send as SMS turned on?

JimmyTW87

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 24, 2013
Yes, the problem shows with the setting off or on though, i cannot force send it as a text message. Texts are still sent to those without iPhones no problem.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Yes, the problem shows with the setting off or on though, i cannot force send it as a text message. Texts are still sent to those without iPhones no problem.
You can only tap and hold and select to something as a text message while it's still not delivered--if you send an iMessage and it becomes delivered then you can't send it as a text message as the iMessage went through already. Are you doing it when the iMessage still hasn't been shown as delivered?

JimmyTW87

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 24, 2013
Well I cannot believe that is the solution. When you're sending short messages over a fast network connection the window in which to try and hit the bubble is incredibly small.

Maybe have half a second in which to wait for the animation of the bubble to finish and then hit it. What a joke that is!

I can't remember it always being like this, you should be able to go back and resend iMessages as SMS.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Well I cannot believe that is the solution. When you're sending short messages over a fast network connection the window in which to try and hit the bubble is incredibly small.

Maybe have half a second in which to wait for the animation of the bubble to finish and then hit it. What a joke that is!

I can't remember it always being like this, you should be able to go back and resend iMessages as SMS.
It's not the window between submitting it and it being sent, it's the window between sending it and it being delivered. If someone is unable to get iMessages at the time then it won't get marked as delivered and you can select to send it as SMS or it will do automatically (if you have that option enabled) after some time. That is how it's always been.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.