Cannot format disk on iMac after error while formatting

Discussion in 'iMac' started by JacobKei, Oct 26, 2015.

1. JacobKei macrumors newbie

Hi guys,
    yesterday I wanted to do a clean install of El Capitan, but while formatting the drive, there was some error, but now I cannot simulate it again, so I don't know what it exactly said, but now I am not able to install any OS X, because there is no partition and I cannot create one.

So, is my hdd like totally dead and there is nothing about, or is there some way to fix this problem?

Attached Files:

2. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Your volume has been converted to a core storage volume and that is why you cannot manipulate it normally.

Go back to recovery and in the Utilities menu up top select Terminal. Then enter the command below to wipe the drive (this will remove the core storage volume). Make sue you type it exactly like I have it including the quotes.

Code:
    diksutil cs delete "Macintosh HD"
    Then quit Terminal and go back to Disk Utility and in the erase tab format the entire drive to Mac OS Extended (Journaled) then you should be able to reinstall.

3. JacobKei thread starter macrumors newbie

Awesome! Now it looks more promising! But I have fusion drive, so I see there two drives obvisously, one is ssd and the second one is the normal hdd.

Can you please tell me more steps?

Attached Files:

4. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202574

Just follow the steps at the bottom of this page to rebuild the Fusion drive. Note that you need to do this from Internet recovery (command-option-r boot).