Cannot Format Macbook harddrive help please

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by pola, May 21, 2010.

1. pola macrumors newbie

okay so, i tried to format my macbook by putting in mac os x install dvd, and pressing install and restarting.. however, all that happens when i restart is the apple symbol popping up and the stupid loading symbol going on for hours wiht nothing happening
    i also tried to hold the option or "alt" button whilst starting up and clicking on boot form mac os install dvd but the same thing just keeps happening.. theres nothing i can do to format my harddrive, and im trying to do this because i cant install windows using bootcamp since my vista crashed and made itself unaccesible so bootcamp tells me to format my harddrive, which i cant do :S
    help plx

2. pola thread starter macrumors newbie

unfortunately, none of the points in the guide worked :(
    some of them resulted in the neverending flashing question mark, i went through all of them but the "circle of death" is still there when i boot from the OS X install CD :S

3. eman macrumors 6502a

Your HD may be dead, try this: Remove the HD from your macbook and then try to load your "install DVD". If your install DVD is now able to load with no issues, I would replace the HD and install the new HD back in your macbook and restart your macbook with the install DVD and load your OS.

You can also borrow a HD from another macbook and install it in your macbook to see if your macbook will now boot.

4. pola thread starter macrumors newbie

But why dead? i can boot form it perfectly fine, and it doesent seem to have any problems at all. the only thing that isnt possible is booting from my install DVD.. Could it be that the optical drive is slightly defect?

5. eman macrumors 6502a

When you have the install DVD in your optical drive and hold the "option key" while booting, does the bootloader menu appear? Does the bootloader menu show your mac HD and install cd? Does your optical drive read other DVDs and CDs ok?

6. pola thread starter macrumors newbie

yes the menu appears just fine, it shows my HD and the DVD.. and yes it reads other disks fine i just burned 2 last night :S
    the only thing i cant do is boot from the DVD, if i try to, the circle of death appears :(

7. eman macrumors 6502a

Yes, that is odd. If your disk is not scratched on the bottom, get an external drive and put your install disk in and load the boot menu again.

You can also put the retail disk in another macbook and use "firewire target disk" mode and load OS that way.

You can also put your install disk on a USB thumb drive and load your OS that way.

8. pola thread starter macrumors newbie

nevermind, i defragged my HD and then bootcamp worked :)