Cannot Format MacbookPro harddrive.

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by bstriker92, Sep 21, 2010.

1. bstriker92 macrumors newbie

Hi, I have a macbook pro from summer 2009. I installed windows 7 on it with bootcamp about 6 months ago, but i havent been using it lately. So i decided to delete it, but i deleted it with disk utility (now i know that was a mistake, i should have used bootcamp assistant). anyway, it wouldnt let me touch the 50 gigs that i had for windows, cause i wanted to make my mac partition larger. so i began googling and messing around with it, and it got waaayy worse. now i cant even access the files or anything on my macbook. i cant boot to mac and i cant reformat the drive at all. i just want to format and start over...do you guys have any ideas?

2. Sheeds macrumors member

Sheeds

Boot from your install disk, it came with your laptop. Insert it and hold option while restarting.

You could try an 'archive and install' to see if that fixes your problems. If not you can also format and re-install your OS, using the disk.

3. bstriker92 thread starter macrumors newbie

I did that. It tells me that i cant install mac osx on this system or something along those lines.

4. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

You probably at a point where you need to start over
    Boot off your system disc again (holding the C down).
    Click through the dialog boxes until you get beyond the license agreement.
    The click on them menu, Tools, Disk Utility.
    Select the disk (not the partition) on the left hand pane.
    Select 1 partition from the drop down
    Click the options and and make sure the partition type is set to GUID.
    close that window and then click apply in the Disk Utility Window
    Exit Disk Utility
    Install a fresh copy of OSX.

[​IMG]

Please note doing these steps will erase ALL contents to your Hard drive. Make sure you have a backup and that you indeed want to take these steps.

5. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

maflynn, how did you get the upper arrow to curve? I assume, you use Preview to annotate or is it some other tool?

6. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I used little snapper from realmacsoftware It does all sorts of screen shots and annotations.

Its a handly little utility that simplifies screen shots and worknig with them. I then can easily drag the image from little snapper to my ftp client (transmit) so it easily shows up on my webhost. It also uses some cloud storage, but I really don't use that.

7. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Thanks, that's nice, although a bit overkill for my simple annotation needs. Preview is just fine for that and I don't use that other features I guess.

8. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

True,
    For my work needs it comes in handy so that's my justification :)