Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Reality4711

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 8, 2009
scotland
Screen%20Shot%202016-08-06%20at%2010.02.18_zps8ncped34.png

This is the second time the install (me) has failed to complete. Last time Opal Computer Systems did it easily. But as it is Saturday does anyone know how to do it?
All Apple instructions to remove this have been tried (as before).
Is my only choice a complete wipe and start again? I do hope not. This new 'utility' does not seem as robust as the old one.
Any help appreciated.

Regards

Sharkey

Significant1

macrumors 68000
Dec 20, 2014
Though I am sure some disk utility kong fu can do it, You should use bootcamp assistent, both when you want to create and remove a bootcamp partition.

buster84

macrumors 6502
Oct 7, 2013
Screen%20Shot%202016-08-06%20at%2010.02.18_zps8ncped34.png

This is the second time the install (me) has failed to complete. Last time Opal Computer Systems did it easily. But as it is Saturday does anyone know how to do it?
All Apple instructions to remove this have been tried (as before).
Is my only choice a complete wipe and start again? I do hope not. This new 'utility' does not seem as robust as the old one.
Any help appreciated.

Regards

Sharkey

I had the exact same issue on my imac and for the life of me couldn't get it to revert after bootcamp assist failed to remove the partition when i was removing windows. You need to create a Mac usb boot drive of your current version of OSX, of if you plan to downgrade create an older one. Another option is to use restore cds, or a retail snow or lion discs if you happen to have them. Then once your booted up disk utility can now fully unmount your drive and and allow you to reformat it.

haralds

macrumors 68030
Jan 3, 2014
Silicon Valley, CA
Try BootCamp assistant. If I remember correctly, the Recovery HD is relocated by the BootCamp installation and is in the way of recovery. Unfortunately Disk Utility is getting dumber all the time (simpler to use!) You cannot any longer use the Dev mode to see hidden partitions. You have to use HD Util.

AidenShaw

macrumors P6
Feb 8, 2003
The Peninsula
Try BootCamp assistant. If I remember correctly, the Recovery HD is relocated by the BootCamp installation and is in the way of recovery. Unfortunately Disk Utility is getting dumber all the time (simpler to use!) You cannot any longer use the Dev mode to see hidden partitions. You have to use HD Util.
How about booting a Live Linux from CD or a thumb drive? You could then use "gparted" to clean things up.

Reality4711

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 8, 2009
scotland
Though I am sure some disk utility kong fu can do it, You should use bootcamp assistent, both when you want to create and remove a bootcamp partition.

Disk utility does not work when this happens.

I eventually just user alt. + R and rebuilt the lot.

Oh and promised my wife on pain of her family visiting never to touch 'W*****s' ever again.

Just look around and you will find this problem is a plague on society (maybe left by 'S' just to keep us weak willed ones away fro the dark side)

Anyway all now smooth and silky.

Regards

Sharkey

Significant1

macrumors 68000
Dec 20, 2014
Disk utility does not work when this happens.

I eventually just user alt. + R and rebuilt the lot.

Oh and promised my wife on pain of her family visiting never to touch 'W*****s' ever again.

Just look around and you will find this problem is a plague on society (maybe left by 'S' just to keep us weak willed ones away fro the dark side)

Anyway all now smooth and silky.

Regards

Sharkey
By disk utility kong fu, I where also considering the diskutil commandline utility. Which is actually what many of the GUI apps like disk utility and bootcamp uses behind the scenes.

Good you are up and running. Sometimes it is just faster to do a reinstall, than keep fighting some obscure problem.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.