Cannot Get iTunes to Create a New Library on External Drive

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Spute, Dec 7, 2010.

1. Spute, Dec 7, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 7, 2010

Spute macrumors newbie

I don't think I can get any more frustrated over this...

I have a brand new MBP. I have a 1tb external drive with 250gb's of music. I have it attached to my mac via USB.

I CANNOT GET ITUNES TO CREATE A NEW LIBRARY ON THE EXTERNAL DRIVE.

I CANNOT DRAG AND DROP OR ADD FILE/FOLDER.

But get this, I hook it up to my old Dell and I can do whatever I want.

I am friggin pissed that I spent all this money on Mac equip and can't get it going.

You may have seen my other post where I posed my issue of:
    1tb ethernet drive hooked to airport extreme. Above mentioned 1tb hooked up to back of it via usb. I am completely unable to copy, move, or add files using my mac. But guess what. my pc handles it easily and quickly.

What am I missing?

2. Spute thread starter macrumors newbie

not sure. How do I find that out?

Also, as I understand it, in order to format it to a mac i will lose all of the content. Is that true?

3. ECUpirate44 macrumors 603

ECUpirate44

You can find out by opening Disc utility.

Yes, if you have to reformat the drive, all data on that drive will be erased.

4. skorpien macrumors 68020

Mac OS X will read, but cannot write to, NTFS formatted drives, which is what I'm guessing your drive is formatted. The reason your old Dell can do whatever it wants is because Windows can read and write to NTFS.

You can either format the drive as HFS+ (you will need to offload the files first, format, then copy them back) or you can get a third party program to allow your Mac to write to NTFS (MacFUSE, NTFS-3G, etc.).

As for your Extreme question, are you sharing the drive via AirPort Utility?

5. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

You don't need Disk Utility to find out the format of the external drive. Simply right-click on the drive icon on your desktop and select Get Info.
    ScreenCap 5.PNG
    You just need to relax and learn how your Mac works. It's not that difficult. Take a breath and calmly ask questions and they'll all be answered.