Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

drummerlondonw3

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 10, 2008
London
Hi,

My friend has just bought a refurbed macbook and she has tried to get it insured in the UK and they have refused her insurance?

I have no experience of this, can someone please help? Do you even HAVE to declare its refurbished?

All help is very (and slightly urgently) appreciated

D:apple:

marbles

macrumors 68000
Apr 30, 2008
EU mostly
Very strange imo....Have you tried to insure as part of your house contents insurance ?.
My guess is that if you get some house insurance (if you haven't already) it'll be insured with that-or could be if you ask them .

Most policy's have certain criteria that allow xxx many of certain items to be insured at one property or if you have a specialized item , such as a collection of some sort....those are usually extra on top of the insurance but ye it's a computer .....refurb or not it has a value and as such can be insured along with house contents insurance, get on the phone/net and search a few out.

As far as I am aware some contents insurance covers for accidental damage as well as theft, which is what I imagine your looking to insure it for.

Only thing to remember is to have the machine specifically mentioned along with it's insurance 'type' on any paperwork....write a letter to the company after it's all set up , just to confirm everything...some insurance firms employ nothing more than charlatans in suits.

Remember...get everything in writing :)

oh , and post back let us know how you get on -I'm sure others here will be interested in the cover you get and with which company's the best offers are with

me included ;)

hope this helps.

Sweetfeld28

macrumors 65816
Feb 10, 2003
Buckeye Country, O-H
are you talking about from a Insurance company, or through AppleCare?

If you are talking about AppleCare, yes refurbs can be insured. Both my iMac, and my MacBook Pro are Refurbs, and both have AppleCare. I am currently writing this on my MacBook Pro, which just needed a new Power Supply, and Battery Replacement due to power issues. Thank you AppleCare.

gkarris

macrumors G3
Dec 31, 2004
"No escape from Reality...”
Sorry, American boy here...

Do you mean insurance in the case of lost/stolen? Or insurance for breakdowns/defects?

Depends on the insurance, and some companies insure goods against breakdowns/defects only if the unit was purchased NEW, not used or refurbished...

drummerlondonw3

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 10, 2008
London
Hi,

Thanks for the reply so far. Just to be clear this is not about applecare but regular insurance about regarding theft etc...

Also this is for my friend and not for me. She rents a spare room at the moment in a friends house so doesn't have contents (I appreciate this would be the easiest way to go) so it would be SOLELY for the laptop.

Thanks

PS. I don't mind the non-UK's chiming in, all help welcome and appreciated :)

marbles

macrumors 68000
Apr 30, 2008
EU mostly
I think if you /your friend was to point out the purchase date and the fact Apple guarantees for refurbs are the same as non refurbs...shouldn't cause a problem but obviously is. How many firms has you guys tried, a lot or just one or two......maybe approach some students and ask them because they would have similar living circumstances and face the same 'issue' I imagine...if you guys are students then ask at the uni, I'm sure someone there would be able to help.

I find it a bit odd tbh that your having difficulty's, .....maybe put the machine on the contents insurance at the parents house if that's an option ?

drummerlondonw3

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 10, 2008
London
It's not a student thing, my friend is a radio presenter so no parents house insurance etc :) is everyone on this forum at uni/school?? :D

I have passed on the other info about not covering refurbs due to repairs and see if that helps, a combination of applecare and loss+theft insurance should suffice

I'll post back when I hear from her later, in the meantime if anyone has any ideas please do post

techound1

macrumors 68000
Mar 3, 2006
The only thing that indicates it is a refurb is the SN, and only mac geeks would know that :p. Does she need to even announce that it's a refurb? It would seem to me to be a cost-to-replace issue, with the fee being based on the cost of the machine and the likelyhood of it being stolen (based on model and location).

marbles

macrumors 68000
Apr 30, 2008
EU mostly
It's not a student thing, my friend is a radio presenter so no parents house insurance etc :) is everyone on this forum at uni/school?? :D

I have passed on the other info about not covering refurbs due to repairs and see if that helps, a combination of applecare and loss+theft insurance should suffice

I'll post back when I hear from her later, in the meantime if anyone has any ideas please do post

No not all of us but quite a lot are . I can't really see the issue here and cannot understand why your having trouble with this.....maybe just your friend got a trained monkey on the phone when they spoke with the insurance company....it's happening a lot lately... remember make sure you speak s_l_o_w_l_y to these people , if you don't all kinds of confusion happens.

Lorenz0

macrumors regular
Mar 12, 2009

Hi folks

long time lurker/ first time poster...

As I understand it, Radio/Media type jobs are one of the few industries that stop you getting contents insurance. My friend's partner works for a radio station, and they cannot get contents either....

Something to do with a radio 'celebrity' being a person who could easily become a target for break ins/ random vandalism/ general stalking....

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.