Cannot get my optical drive fan to slow down

Discussion in 'iMac' started by The.316, Jul 11, 2011.

1. The.316, Jul 11, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 11, 2011

The.316 macrumors 65816

The.316

I replaced my optical drive with an SSD in my late 09 i7 27' iMac. It works fine for a little while, then the speed of the fan runs as high as 2500 rpm. I opened the iMac, and I placed the sensor on the fan on the bottom right of the iMac, because I saw it in another thread, and I still get the same fan speeds. The fan will hover around 1900, and rise up when I start playing some youtube videos, or some movies off of my other HDs. I tried HDD Fan Control, and iMac fan control, and nothing seems to work. Anyone have any ideas? I have a Vertex 2 SSD installed btw.

I also saw a while back about a thermal sensor cable that loops, which shorts out the wire I suppose, but I applecomponents.com is "under construction," so I am not able to even try that cable.

Here is my current fan speeds, with only Firefox and iTunes open:

Attached Files:

2. mstrze macrumors 68000

I have been reading here that one can only replace internal drives with like Apple componants or there are issues with the fans just continually spinning. Although, I was thinking that the spinning would be on the max setting, and you said that the fan does speed up on higher activity, so perhaps there is something else going on here.

3. The.316 thread starter macrumors 65816

The.316

A lot of people here have replaced their optical drives with SSDs, and they seem to be ok with fan speeds, so I dont think its an component issue. Right now I am watching a movie, and the optical fan speed is hovering around 1900 rpm.

4. The.316 thread starter macrumors 65816

The.316

I did a hardware test as well, and I received the following error:

4sns/1/400000000

Anyone have any suggestions?

5. goinskiing macrumors 6502a

goinskiing

I am having this issue too after installing an SSD on the 3rd sata port on my 2010 27" iMac. CPU fan is good same with HDD. I kep the original HDD and still have the optical drive. Used ysplitter for power to SSD. I triple checked my connections and all connections are good. I do get a 4sns on aht, with toop (optical sensor). My ODD is on full bore at about 3800 rpm and the other 2 around 1000. I wonder if I messed up the sensor cable (thin) somehow. Like I said, I triple checked all connections and they are indeed good. Is there a way to set the max fan speed in SMC? I've done all the pram and nvram and SMC resets to no avail. I wonder if there is a windows solution (bootcamp) that will keep the fan low. Thanks!