cannot get osx 10.4.6 on imac g3 400 firewire

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by MacHappytjg, Mar 30, 2008.

1. MacHappytjg macrumors 65816

so my friend got this free 400mhz iMac g3 and he wanted osx 10.4 on it and after trying everyting and all the frimware updates nothing it has 576mb of ram and a 40gb hd and i only could get 10.3 on it i have imac g5 discs is this the problem and there powerpc discs does any one know why ?:confused:

2. Darkroom Guest

Darkroom

don't know why... my old G3 400MHz that died last year had 10.4 installed no problem.

3. iPhil macrumors 68040

iPhil

Well the iMac G5 discs are designed for the iMac G5 unit... The G3 400mhz unit needs a retail copy of tiger to fully install correctly..

4. pelai macrumors newbie

I managed to install Tiger with a similar configuration afew years ago:
    Clamshell ibook g3 400mhz. Imac g5 with Tiger discs.

The way to do it is to boot up the g3 in target mode into the G5 and install Tiger from tigersdiscs in the G5. The disc will then think the G3 is just a hardrive and not deny the installation.

5. MacHappytjg thread starter macrumors 65816

ill try that and if it doesnt work ill put his hd in a external case and do it on my brothers imac g5

6. MacHappytjg thread starter macrumors 65816

yea i have a imac g3 350 and nothings ever been wrong with it never seems to wanna die :D

7. MacHappytjg thread starter macrumors 65816

but i use ibook g4 10.3 discs for my imac and his imac

8. MacHappytjg thread starter macrumors 65816

cant get os x 10.4.6 on imac g3 400Mhz firewire :(

Cannot get osx 10.4.6 on imac g3 400 firewire
    so my friend got this free 400mhz imac g3 and he wanted osx 10.4 on it and after trying everyting and all the frimware updates nothing it has 576mb of ram and a 40gb hd and i only could get 10.3 on it i have imac g5 discs is this the problem and there powerpc discs does any one know why ? sopposivly theres a way to get around it if anyone knows can u tell me, is target mode the only way ? :(

9. NIPRING macrumors 6502

Start g3 in target mode, install 10.4 on your g5 and choose the g3's HDD as the destination. Should work.

10. MacHappytjg thread starter macrumors 65816

yea thats waht i was told but do so i might just bring my firends imac over to my house and so i dont have to like reinstall the imac g5 right would it work if i use my macbook or cause since its intel would it work?

11. killmoms macrumors 68040

killmoms

You cannot install OS X from discs shipped with another computer. You'd need a retail boxed copy of OS X 10.4 Tiger to install it on his machine.

12. MacHappytjg thread starter macrumors 65816

or i can firewire it up and do it that way after 10.4 out apple has gotton gay and wont let me do that cause i have 10.3 ibook discs i used for my 350mhz imac

13. mistertudball macrumors newbie

Pelai: Just found your comment about target disk OS install. Will that work if using my G5 desktop as the host, and a Powerbook G3 Firewire I just "inherited" to update the PB from OS 9.1 to Tiger? I have the never-used Tiger CDs from the G5 and would rather not fork over $179 for a retail version of Tiger if I don't have to. The laptop is strictly for my use, like the G5 is.

14. MacHappytjg thread starter macrumors 65816

yes u do but i think u need atleast 256mb of ram for it to make itself work and i think u might have to update the frimware so it will let u install it on the old dinosaurs if u wanna get the frimware update search it up (frimware to install osx10.4) or somthing its on apple site and download it and its lik a old file so yea.... to do this u needwaht i said then u put the target computer in target mode by starting it up and holding down t and when its in target mode and the firewire is attached then you start the imac up with the tiger dvdin holding down c and install 10.4 on the pb harddrive as simple as that

15. MacHappytjg thread starter macrumors 65816

installing 10.4 off a macbook onto imAC g3

so this is my 3rd post about this issue about installing 10.4 onto a imac g3 400 is it possible to install osx 10.4 onto the imac using a macbook even though its a intel cause i remeber being abble to format the hdd as a fat 32 powerpc or intel mac wen i was partitioning will this work , forgive my fast typing and bad spelling .:p

16. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

You can only use a restore disk from one line to the same.

17. MacHappytjg thread starter macrumors 65816

so i just used your method and worked great thanks
    cheers

18. mistertudball macrumors newbie

Thanks for the info, and the tip about checking the Powerbook's firmware. I knew about the needed bump in RAM and the chip's on its way as well as a new battery. Might get a new HD too as this one is 6GB and I've heard Tiger needs at least that.

Could Alphaod please elaborate on

"You can only use a restore disk from one line to the same."

I'm not sure what that means.

19. MacHappytjg thread starter macrumors 65816

i splurged on my hd for my imac g3 with a whole 60gb :O lmao but i saw people with tiger with a 10gb but probably barely anyspace to do much get at least a 20gb or somthing so u can do stuff my friend has a 40gb and has 30gb to do stuff with wen we installed it last night . and that guy is saying that imac g5 discs only work with imac g5s but i have ibook g4 10.3 discs and they work on lik anything such as my imac g3 and i have emac 9.2 discs that work on my imac as well i guess after 10.3 it doesnt work unless if u firewire it or retail dvd but no problem for helpin ya out