Cannot get reasonable resolution

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by JBot, Jul 11, 2008.

1. JBot macrumors 6502

I just plugged in a G5 Powermac that i got at work, into a Dell 19' 1907FP monitor.

http://accessories.dell.com/sna/pro...l.aspx?c=ca&l=en&s=dhs&cs=cadhs1&sku=320-5293

I have a vga to dvi convertor connecting it to the machine. However, the best resolution i can get is 640x480, and clearly that is as good as useless to anyone including myself. I looked on the dell website for mac drivers for the monitor, however i am unable to find any.
    The monitor is capable of producing a resolution of 1280x1024.

I am wondering if this (640x480) is the best possible res i can get while using a vga cable, or if there is anything i can do to possibly get it higher.

Thanks in advance for your help.

2. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

you didnt state whether you tried to change the resolution in the Display preferences in System Preferences. does this fix it?

3. JBot thread starter macrumors 6502

4. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

No as in
    have not tried?
    does not work?
    no idea how to do that?

Any 10+ year Mac can do that resolution. Does the PowerMac work with other displays? Did you recently got the PowerMac (perhaps someone damaged the system and might need fresh install)?

5. realgenius macrumors member

Is it the Apple "vga to dvi convertor"?

Some cheapie converters are bandwidth limited, in my experience. I've had good luck with the Apple converter from a Mac mini, but not so much luck with the cheapie converter sometimes thrown in with PC video cards.

I would try and find a dedicated VGA to DVI converter cable.

6. JBot thread starter macrumors 6502

no i tried that and it doesnt work. the only resolution it shows is 640x480. ive tried another dell monitor, different series, and again i couldnt get anything better.
    the graphics card says its installed properly with the ati radeon 9600 card.

also for some reason the graphics are faulty as in it leaves little squares by the mouse randomly when you click, then if you drag a selection box over the sqaure of 'dead pixels', it seems to refresh the image and it goes away.
    I have done a fresh install of the os, and it did not correct the problem.

*edit- Yes, its the apple convertor for vga to dvi going from the box, then i have the vga plugged into the monitor.

7. zmttoxics macrumors 65816

zmttoxics

Sounds like a bad card. At least the AGP cards are easy to find.

8. sash macrumors 6502a

sash

Hi,

Have you tried to reset PRAM? And maybe not just once, but several times in
    a row?

sash

9. JBot thread starter macrumors 6502

yea i reset the pram already too.

is there any way to know forsure if it is infact a bad vga card?like is there a test app that can run tests tosee if it performs properly? i dont want to replace something before knowing forsure thats the problem...

10. sash macrumors 6502a

sash

And what about removing the card and then reinstalling it?

I've got a problem with the new Apple HD 30" on a 9600 ATI: maximum resolution was 1200 by something. That was a real voodoo and shamanism which I had to do to establish the native resolution. I believe that removing and reinstalling the card was a decisive element in this voodoo thing, although I'm not sure (quite a long ago). In the end I've got the native res and was using this card till the upgrade arrived.

sash

11. JBot thread starter macrumors 6502

one more question.
    I went to reinstall the os and my problem now is that i cant get to the bottom of the dialog box to advance in the installation. the box is too big/resolution is too big and i cant seem to resize the window to click the all important next button. i cant seem to be able to zoom out (using command -, or view > zoom), nor can i tab through for some reason.
    EDIT* Clearification, i can tab through, but i cant press enter to select the highlighted button.
    any suggestions on what i can do now?
    i tried to find a way via terminal to zoom/change res but i couldnt find anything..

12. peskaa macrumors 68020

peskaa

Surely the problem there is that the Radeon 9600 doesn't support dual-link DVI, and will therefore never ever run a display at any resolution above 1920x1200?

13. sash macrumors 6502a

sash

ATI RADEON 9600 PRO 4x/8x AGP 256MB Dual DVI Video Card has one Dual-link DVI, thus supporting Apple HD 23" and Apple HD 30" (which means up to 2560 x1600).

http://eshop.macsales.com/item/ATI Technologies/100435065/
    or this link:
    http://ati.amd.com/products/radeon9600/radeon9600propcmac/specs.html

I wasn't satisfied with card's performance that much though.

sash