Cannot get Remote App to connect with iTunes!

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by Bdubb, Mar 29, 2010.

1. Bdubb macrumors regular

Bdubb

I have a 3Gs J.broken, Locked running on 3.1.2 custom firmware, 05.11.07. I use the Remote App a lot on my iPhone, it was working fine last week, but this week so far nothing.

I reseted/deleted the Library connection that wasn't connecting, tried to set up a new one, I have absolutely no response from iTunes, my PC and the iphone both share the same wireless WiFi channel, I don't understand:confused:

2. tctony macrumors 6502a

tctony

Restart your computer and iPhone. That'll usually solve the problem.

3. Bdubb thread starter macrumors regular

Bdubb

Aghh I cannot connect Remote to iTunes for the life of me!

(3Gs JB. Locked 3.1.2 (5.11.07)

Tried everything...I even upgraded to iTunes 9.1 and reinstalled Remote App on my iPhone..Damn you Apple! I think they blacklisted me and they are having a laugh!!!

4. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

What would you have done to get "Blacklisted" ? If such were true, you couldn't even sign into iTunes.

5. Bdubb thread starter macrumors regular

Bdubb

hehe, I am just exaggerating, please don't take it too seriously ( although I'm sure you didn't)

I was just thinking maybe it's not working because when Apple asked me to Diagnose my phone through iTunes I said "NO", so hence why they said "Ok, No remote app for you!" but again it's just me having a laugh.

Ironically I got so fed up with this problem...after updating to 9.1 iTunes, I went to HELP>Run Diagnostics on iTunes, everything seemed fine, (green lights)

My only conclusion to this problem may be is because I am not on an official 3.1.3 like Apple wants me to be.

I would greatly appreciate if others out there with Jbroken 3.1.2 on a 3Gs can share their Remote app experience, if it's working or not, thanks

6. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

I am jailbroken on 3.1.2 and the iPhone "Remote" app works perfectly for me as long as you set up the Mac and iPhone correctly. Requires wifi with both connected.

7. Bdubb thread starter macrumors regular

Bdubb

I am becoming to think that it's my weak WiFi connection, ( I only have one bar) I recently changed rooms and I am much further away from my network modem, too bad stupid modem wont work on any other phone jack around the house!! this is becoming frustrating, is there an alternative to this App? somethign on Cydia maybe?

EDIT: I doubt it's my WiFi, I tried to connect standing close to my modem with iPhone (full bars) in hand, still no good.

Anyway I give up. (It can also be becasue I am re syncing from an old backup!? not sure if that makes any sense, since it used to work before...)

8. SpaceKitty macrumors 68040

SpaceKitty

What router are you using?

Several months ago, I remember reading about certain routers such as the Qwest Actiontec M1000 that caused problems with the Remote app. Those who ordered the router with the WiFi module could not use the Remote app at all. Those who ordered the router without the WiFi module but used a separate WiFi router such as the Airport had no problems at all.

I have the M1000 without the Wifi and am using an AEBS and have no problems this way.

9. ACardAttack macrumors 6502

ACardAttack

Make sure Bonjour is installed...I uninstalled that, then my remote app stopped working and then when I reinstalled it, the remote app worked fine...its something itunes tries to install when you install itunes

10. ljhill macrumors newbie

I have the same problem and tried multiple approaches. Once in a while I can see my library on the iphone but then it disconnects and I'm unable to reconnect. Since I've deleted the library to attempt re-adding I've had no luck and can't see it intermittently like I could before.

11. mstrze macrumors 68000

Are you absolutely certain that both your iPhone and iMac on the same network?

I recently added a 'g' router to my setup and redid my old AEBS to serve as a 'n' only router. Now, since the iPhone is on the 'g' network and my ATV and iMac is on the 'n' network, they cannot see each other.

Did you do something router/network-wise recently?

12. Bdubb thread starter macrumors regular

Bdubb

yea I came to a conclusion, the problem is because of my home wireless network. this is my second iPhone in two weeks, and just like explained above:
    I reseted (deleted) my connection and tried to connect to iTunes again and nothing...

I recently move my desktop computer around the house and went from Ethernet connection to Wireless and I had to call my internet provider to reset some settings and reconfigure my home network. So yess I am thinking that is why I cannot get this to work..it's definitely not a problem coming from the iPhone (hardware) itself or even an App (Remote) problem, its a problem with my PC and and the iPhone not communicating through my Wireless Network.

I don't have the time now, but later I will call me Internet provider and tell them about this, and I am sure they will be able to help, once I figure it out, I will let you guys know...

But if you are experienced with home networking (I am not). and you have access to your internet and Wireless settings through a website from your internet provider and you know what you're doing ( I don't) then go ahead.... make sure your iPhone's WiFi 192.168...address exactly matches the IP address of your Mac/PC machine that iTunes is on.

if both IPs match , it should work. Right now mine don't match

13. AppleHack23 macrumors member

You can try making an Ad Hoc connection, if your computer supports that. Disconnect the ethernet cable from the computer, connect your iPhone to the Ad Hoc connection, and then try it. If that works then a few things are wrong, all relating to your internet connection.

1. Your ISP messed with their/your settings
    2. You messed something up on the router
    3. There is a compatibility issue, probably caused by a firmware update on the router, or an app update
    4. Your router broke

Those are all I can suggest if it works over Ad Hoc. There may be other reasons, but that all I can think of off the top of my head.

14. ljhill macrumors newbie

I verified that my Addresses match and no luck. Something within the security changes to the 9.1 upgrade is my best guess for the root of the problem.

15. mstrze macrumors 68000

Well, verify with the ISP guys who made the changes that you don't have two seperate networks (the AEBS can support dual band, maybe other routers can too.)

This exact thing happened to me because of my seperated 'g' and 'n' networks. iPods and iPhones only work on 'g' networks and while your desktop, assuming it's fairly new, will be operating on the faster 'n' network...if it's available. Although it still can work on the 'g' as well.

Just make sure they didn't set up an 'n' for you.

Quick check for you: Are you sure that both phone and computer are connecting to YOUR network? Might you be latching onto a stronger neighbor's router? Or perhaps the phone is not connected via wifi at all (3G) while you computer is? As you know, both need to be on the same wireless network. Worth checking I suppose.

16. ljhill macrumors newbie

Who is "they" and how do I figure out if they set up a 'N' for me?

17. pixelated macrumors 6502a

pixelated

FYI
    Im guessing you are talking LAN address here (192.168...) and they should definitely NOT match. Each device, computer or iphone, needs a unique address which is normally automatically given by the router.

18. Bdubb thread starter macrumors regular

Bdubb

This is the only thing that's not working on my Iphone and I'm soo pissed.. no matter how many times I restore... I don't know what it is and I gave up..I'm guessing it's becasue I'm on 3.1.2... and not on 3.1.3 and since Remote is an official Apple app. and I downloaded the latest version of Remote from the App store, Remote isn't liking 3.1.2 and probably that is why it's not working??

If there's anyone out there that can confirm that their (LATEST VERSION) of Remote app works with Jailbroken 3.1.2 on 4.26.08 baseband... please let me know.. I cannot get it to work !!:mad:

19. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

It wouldn't be in the App Store if it didn't work on 3.1.2 (baseband is irrelevant), since it's been available long before 3.1.3 firmware was released.

Edit: Attached jpeg to answer your next post !

Attached Files:

20. Bdubb thread starter macrumors regular

Bdubb

No what I am trying to say is, maybe apple updated the App on the App store...I realize Remote has been in existence quite a while, but just like any other apps and (devs) they updated the version so now it only works on (the latest f.m.)3.1.3.

To your defense if that was case, I guess there will be a pop up when I run the App telling me something like "This version of Remote only works with firmware 3.1.3" obviously Apple would give you such heads up and not be sneaky about it.

A good example of an App I liked but cannot use the latest version anymore is the "Rotten Tomatoes" one. Every time I try to install it on 3.1.2 it says "iTunes couldn't install RT app on your iPhone b/c it's not compatible with your current firmware" etc...
    You know what I'm saying? I just need this fixed, but I really don't have the time and patience at the moment to tinker with my Modem, wireless settings and IPs LAN etc... maybe sometime next week, I cannot believe how long this has been "broken" for me now.

And this is the second 3Gs iPhone that Remote is not working for. So I am certain it' has a lot to do with my internet settings (firewalls) etc, and little to do with Apple, iTunes or iPhone hardware.

21. C8XY macrumors 6502

Thread is from April

Did you ever get this sorted?? I'm having the EXACT same trouble as you using JBd iPhone on 3.1.2
    My remote app works perfect on my other iPhone and iPad...

Please post your solution as google shows this at top of page 1, thanks!

22. random818 macrumors newbie

Yup. Same deal. Search led me here too. Jailbroken iPhone 4 won't connect to iTunes on a MacBook. Wireless network is on an airport extreme.