Cannot Get Rid of Pop Up Blocker in IE8

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by Mary H, Dec 9, 2010.

1. Mary H macrumors regular

I am using Win XP with Parallels. I have a secure program which will only work on Windows and IE. :(

I am attempting to generate a report. When I click on the link to generate the report a window name 'about:blank' pops up and then a report pops into the top of the file to say IE has stopped a pop up.

I have put the original web address in the pop up blocker as a permissible address. I have put the address in as a trusted site under security. I have turned off the blocker. I have closed down IE and restarted it. I have restarted Windows.

All to no avail. I still keep getting the message IE has blocked the file. :eek: When I click and request the file to be downloaded, all I have is a blank screen. I have checked for the file to be in my downloads and I cannot find it.

Can anyone help me?

Thanks,
    Mary

2. vistadude macrumors 65816

It's probably because the popup is coming from a different address or domain. When the popup is blocked, there should be a manilla yellow rectangle that appears above the address bar. Click it and you should be able to allow popups from there.

3. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

4. Mary H, Dec 10, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 10, 2010

Mary H thread starter macrumors regular

The new page is about:blank
    There is no yellow rectangle.
    I have disabled pop up blocker in Security.

The actual message is
    'To help protect your security, Internet Explorer blocked this site from downloading files to your computer. Click here for options...'

Options are
    Download file ...
    What's the Risk?
    Information Bar Help

I click on Download File, the information bar disappears and I am left with a blank file. Nothing has downloaded and the information I am seeking is not available.

The page I am supposed to see tells me my information has been sent to my message box. There requested information is not in my messages.

5. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

With the popup blocker completely disabled?

B

6. Mary H thread starter macrumors regular

7. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

Does this function of the site work well on XP/IE8 on some other machines. Sounds like a problem with the site or IE8.

B

8. Mary H thread starter macrumors regular

In spite of what I was told by the company, I can use Firefox for Windows.

I have installed it and it is now working.

I never did like IE.