Cannot hear audio on Skype or iChat !

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Macula, Apr 12, 2008.

1. Macula macrumors 6502

Macula

Since yesterday I haven't been able to hear audio on iChat or Skype. The other party can hear me, but I cannot hear them. Video works in both directions and in both programs.

I eliminated the following possibilities:

1. Network problem (it is not, because the computer exhibits the same problem when connected through another network).

2. Speakers (no problem there either, because the speakers work with all other software; also, I made sure that the volume is not muted)

Again, this problem appears on iChat and Skype.

The only program I installed on the machine recently is Wiretap Studio, which may have corrupted certain libraries. On the other hand, I installed the same software on my laptops and they work fine!

I am running 10.5.2 with all the updates on a Core Duo iMac with 2GB of RAM.

What is going on?! This is driving me crazy.

2. MyMacsNeverWork macrumors newbie

I'm having the exact same problem. Did you solve it?

I also have the syptom of the ichat and skype sound not working because I cannot hear people but they can hear me. My video also seems to work.

Please help!
    Jon

3. Habusho macrumors 6502

Maybe check the audio input device in audio settings. Or possibly see if it's muted.

4. zygissimo macrumors newbie

do you get notifications when a new messages arrives (sound notificiation)? or the notification, when you log in? If no, then you have to activate. Try to mark "play sound" in the notification preferences, and check, if there is output source in the audio tab of preferences.

5. MyMacsNeverWork macrumors newbie

Problem Solved!!!!

Ok, here was the problem. Apparently Skype and iChat only broadcast the audio from your friend from the right speaker. This is likely due to the fact that the microphone may be on the left side of the computer.

The problem with my MacBook Pro is that the right speaker has stopped working.

Debugging this was SO frustrating. I've now got an appointment at the Apple Store for service since I'm under warranty.

Jon