Cannot import photos into photoshop

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by jonallion, Mar 25, 2011.

1. jonallion macrumors newbie

I just installed Photoshop CS5 and am currently running iphoto 09. iphoto has all my photos but I want to open just one photo to edit in photoshop.
    I have tried several things: clicking the iphoto file and dragging it into the photoshop icon on the dock, saving my iphoto file as a JPEG and other photo files to see if that makes a difference, opening a photo from photoshop bridge, etc. Every time I try to click open file in photoshop and choose a photo file it gives me the same error message: "Could not complete your request because of a program error."

I'm confused as to what program error?

Please help.

2. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

By "iPhoto file," do you mean "iPhoto Library"? The iPhoto Library is not a file. It is a bundle, a non-executable version of a MacOS X application bundle. A bundle is a special kind of folder that appears to the user as a file, but it is not a file. It contains all of your iPhoto photographs in individual files.

My suggestion to you is to export the photographs that you want to edit one-by-one. You can't edit all of your photographs at once, so why export them all at once? There is a way to get at your the photographs in your iPhoto Library via the Finder. However, it would be irresponsible for you to do that until you learn how to use Photoshop and learn a lot more about how your system works.

3. jonallion thread starter macrumors newbie

By iphoto file I mean an individual photo file not the entire library. 90% of my photos are in iphoto so I'm trying to import the photos from there into photoshop but not in bundles, one by one. I click on file in photoshop and then click on an individual photo file in the finder and it doesn't matter how I try to open a file in photoshop it still says that same error message.

4. Designer Dale macrumors 68040

Designer Dale

Easy. You want to use iPhoto to store your pics and just edit a few in PhotoShop. In the iPhoto Preferences Pane, set the Edit With drop-down to PhotoShop. Back in iPhoto, Right-Click on your photo and select Open in External Editor. That will open it in PhotoShop. If the file is shot in RAW, it will open in the Adobe Camera Raw portion of PS where you can make fine adjustments not available in either iPhoto or the usual PhotoShop window. If it's just a jpeg, it will go right to the main PS window.

Here is my iPhoto Preferences Pane. Ignore the Aperture settings.

Dale

Attached Files: