cannot install any programs on my new imac

Discussion in 'iMac' started by nrgizyen, May 5, 2011.

1. nrgizyen macrumors newbie

So first time mac user here, Ive decided to finally take the mac plunge from PC and it's been frustrating tonight I was wondering if I did the wrong thing.

I went on Tuesday to get the imac refresh and installed another 8gb of ram, the programs pop up extremely quick so I was very happy with that, however I would get random crashes with my safari while I'm surfing the web, whatever I figure I just needed to update safari.

I poped in my starcraft 2 disc and it gave me an error while installing, thought it was weird but then just went ahead to do a system update, after I install about 955mb worth of data it gives me a error during installation I was then a little worried, tried it again error occurred once again. I went to the apple support site to download the 10.6 manually, once again I get an error while trying to installing.

I went into app>disk utilities did a verify and it says hd is okay no need to repair anything, am I missing something? please help me last thing I want is a defective imac/hdd. I wanted this experience to be a good one from the get go.

2. VPrime macrumors 68000

VPrime

What is the error you are getting? we can't really help you if you don't tell us what is happening.

3. discounteggroll macrumors 6502

discounteggroll

have you tried installing anything else? could be a bad or scratched dvd, but I would definitely make sure your software update is current

4. nrgizyen thread starter macrumors newbie

when I try to do a system update, it downloads the update but during installation it'll stop and say "error occurred during installation please try again" the other update software that I got directly off the apple support site would say the same thing, I'm trying to update from 10.6.6 to 10.6.7 it just seems like I cannot install anything onto my mac right now.

5. John T macrumors 68020

John T

"Error occurred during installation please try again" doesn't necessarily indicate there is anything wrong with your machine. I have received a similar message whilst running Software Update and the problem was with the network.

Have you tried as advised - tried later?

6. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

Pull the added RAM, leaving only the factory RAM in. See if that helps.

7. topmounter macrumors 68020

topmounter

Was the iMac working ok before you added the RAM? Where did you buy the "added RAM"? It sounds like the RAM is either not seated properly or it's cheap and/or faulty.

8. nrgizyen thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks guys I apperciate the feedback I don't hate my Mac I love it I kist want it to work without having to switch out to another one. My ram is corsairs ddr3 1333hz sodimm I will try taking it out to are if it works. Any suggestions for brand? I will test after work.