Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ozone

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 18, 2004
Ontario, Canada
My wife's 2008 aluminum MacBook was upgraded to Yosemite, but we haven't used it lately. There were some SSDs on sale, so I figured I'd put one in, and see if I could stretch out it's useful life for a little while longer. Before installing the SSD, I figured I should update to El Capitan first, and then maybe clone over the disk. However, when it was installing El Capitan, the process crashed. There's really nothing on the MacBook and no peripherals were connected, and this MB is supposed to be compatible with El Capitan, so I was quite surprised. I tried three more times to install, but it gave me a crash log report each time.

I figured, no matter, since I wanted to put in an SSD, I'll just do a fresh install from scratch. So I put in the SSD, installed Snow Leopard, did all the Leopard upgrades (that took some doing too), and then downloaded and installed El Capitan.... and got the (probably the same) crash error. After looking up some threads on the web, I tried booting in safe mode, and it seemed to finally install. Then I restarted the MacBook only to have it try to reinstall OS X again, and then crash.

So, I don't really know what to do at this point. Either I'm missing something, or else maybe there's a hardware issue? Two other Macs (at work) were upgraded successfully to El Capitan, but my Mac Mini (2013 model year) at home has not been. While this MB is not critical to what we do, I'm a little reluctant to try given this apparent failure.

Any suggestions?

hwojtek

macrumors 68020
Jan 26, 2008
Poznan, Poland
Known issue. People upgrading from perfectly running Yosemite to El Capitan are very surprised to find their RAM faulty (or El Capitan doesn't like their 512MB modules).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.